Page images

opponents of negro slavery, and in 1820 signed the famous "Declaration of Sentiments" which initiated, under the leadership of William Lloyd Garrison, the movement for the emancipation of the colored race. The last days of his life were devoted to the maturing of plans of government and instruction for the Friends' College at Swathmore, near Philadelphia.

Jan. 30.-HUNTINGTON, CHARLES PHELPS, an eminent jurist of Massachusetts, died in Boston. He was born in Litchfield, Connecticut, May 24, 1802, was fitted for college at Hopkins Academy, in Hadley, Mass.; graduated at Harvard University in the class of 1822, and studied law in Northampton, Mass., where he practised his profession for several years. Subsequently he removed to Boston, where he acquired a high reputation as a jurist, and was appointed Judge of the Superior Court in Suffolk County.


Feb. 1.-LEESER, ISAAC, a learned Jewish rabbi and author, died in Philadelphia. was born in Neukirch, Westphalia, in 1806, and in 1825 emigrated to the United States, where he engaged in commerce. In 1829 he became rabbi of the principal synagogue of Philadelphia, and subsequently acquired an extensive reputation by his contributions to literature, referring principally to Jewish history and theology. For some years he edited The Jewish Advocate (The Occident). Among his pub lished works are: "The Jews and the Mosaic Law" (1833); "Discourses, Argumentative and Devotional "" (1836-40); "Portuguese Form of Prayers "(1837); a "Descriptive Geography of Palestine;" and a translation of the Hebrew "Holy Scriptures," according to Jewish authorities (1856).

Feb. 2.-MARIGNY, BERNARD DE MANDEVILLE, a citizen of New Orleans, of French extraction, died in that city, aged 84 years. He was born in New Orleans in 1784, and descended from a rich and titled family of Normandy. Inheriting an enormous estate, in cluding large tracts of land in different parts of his native city and State, he indulged in unbounded prodigality in his youth. When Louis Philippe, Duke of Orleans, sought an asylum in this country, Mr. Marigny enter tained him with liberal hospitality in his princely mansion, and the intimacy thus established was not forgotten when the former became King of France. Mr. Bernard Marigny very early assumed a prominent part in the politics of the State. He was a member, perhaps the last survivor, of the convention of 1812, which framed the first constitution for the State. During the war with England, and when the State was invaded, he was in the Legislature, and was an active member of the Committee of Defence. He continued a member of the Legislature for twenty-four years, and was always regarded as the most prominent and efficient champion of the old creole party and as a very earnest and active Democrat. When a convention was called in 1845, to revise and

amend the constitution of 1812, Mr. Marigny was elected a member of it, and bore a conspicuous part in the advocacy of the more liberal features of the new government, which superseded that he had assisted to create in 1812. Besides these public duties, Mr. Marigny filled various other public stations in the Fed eral and State governments. During his long career, his liberal and prodigal habits made great inroads upon his once vast estate.

Feb. 3.-LYONS, JAMES GILBOURNE, D.D., LL. D., an Episcopal clergyman and educator, died in West Haverford, Pa. He was a native of England, but emigrated to America in 1844, and began his clerical labors at St. Mary's Church, Burlington, N. J. In 1846 he re moved to Philadelphia, and established himself as a teacher of the classics. His success as an educator procured for him the position of principal of the Haverford Classical School, which he held at the time of his death.

Feb. 4.-GILLIAMS, JACOB, M. D., an eminent physician and naturalist of Philadelphia, died there, aged 84 years. He was a native of Philadelphia, and, upon the completion of his medical studies, entered upon a long and successful practice, which he did not relinquish until a few years previous to his death. He was a proficient in the natural sciences, and especially in ornithology, which brought him into companionship with Audubon, Wilson Rushenberger, and others. In connection with Charles Lucien Bonaparte and a few others, he established in 1816 the Macluria Lyceum in his native city, which, however was short lived; but the Academy of Natural Sciences, which he also assisted in founda has attained a wide renown. The hall which it occupies was built at his expense.

Feb. 6.-HERRICK, Hon. ANSON, a New York politician and editor, died in New York. He was born in Lewiston, Me., January 21, 1819: received a common-school education, and st the age of fifteen years was apprenticed to the business of a printer. In 1836 he settled New York City, and in 1838 commenced the publication of a weekly journal now called the New York Atlas, of which he became editor and proprietor. He received from President Buchanan the appointment of Naval Stor keeper for New York, which he held until 1861. In 1862 he was elected Representative from New York to the Thirty-eighth Congress, serving on the Committees on Revolutionary Pensions and Expenditures in the Navy De partment. He was also a delegate to the "Philadelphia National Union Convention" of 1966.

Feb. 7.-DE WITT, RICHARD VARICK, a prom inent citizen of Albany, died in that city, aged 68 years. He was a native of Albany, and descended from a family of some military re nown, his father and uncle having been dis tinguished officers of the Revolution. He graduated at Union College, and studied la but gave his attention mostly to literary and artistic pursuits. He made himself familis

with the principles of architecture, and produced some fine specimens of oil and watercolor paintings; was one of the founders of the Albany Institute; established and maintained a line of steamboats on the Cayuga Lake; contributed largely to the construction of the Ithaca and Oswego Railroad; was vicepresident of the State Cincinnati Society, and was one of the founders of the first Sundayschool in Albany.

Feb. 10.-RICHARDSON, Rev. JOHN F., Professor of Latin Language and Literature in the University of Rochester, and an author, died in Rochester, aged 60 years. He graduated at Hamilton College, Clinton, N. Y., in 1827, and studied law at Rochester, N. Y. He had just been admitted to the bar in 1830, when, under the labors of Rev. Charles G. Finney, he was converted, and, with a classmate, Rev. Grover S. Comstock, subsequently a missionary to Arracan, resolved to abandon the legal profession and study theology. The two proceeded to the Hamilton Theological Institution, now Madison University, and, after a two years' course there, entered the ministry. Though a profoundly religious man, and possessed of a most gentle and tender nature, Mr. Richardson's tendencies were so strong toward a quiet and studious life, and devotion to classical studies, that he very early turned his attention to teaching, and, on the organization of the University of Rochester in 1851, was appointed to the professorship of Latin Language and Literature, which he held to his death. He had published one or two small text-books on subjects connected with classical study, which are highly appreciated by scholars.

Feb. 12.-GAMBELL, WILLARD P., an eminent lawyer and jurist of Kansas, died at Lawrence, Kan., aged 37 years. He was born and educated in New York, but, after a short residence in Michigan, removed to Leavenworth, Kan., where he at once became one of the leading men in the State. His acute logical powers and brilliant intellect placed him at the head of the bar. At a great pecuniary sacrifice he served one or two terms in the House, and also one in the State Senate, where his abilities were thoroughly appreciated. His death was sudden and unexpected.

Feb. 13.-OKEE-WAH, Mrs. MARGARET, an Indian woman of the Ottawa tribe, died in Bay Settlement, Wisconsin, at the advanced age of 123 years. She had been married three times, and her eldest son, who survives her, is 97 years old, and is blind and infirm. In June, 1830, she became a Catholic, and was baptized by the Rt. Rev. Dr. Fenwick, then Bishop of Cincinnati. She retained her faculties until her death.

Feb. 16.-FENDALL, PHILIP R., an eminent advocate, of Washington, D. C., died in that city, aged 73 years. He was born in Alexandria, Va., in 1794, graduated with distinction at Princeton College in 1815, and was admitted to the bar in Alexandria about 1820. Some years VOL. VIII.-36 A

later he removed to Washington, D. C., where he soon attained a very high rank in his profession, and filled the important office of District Attorney from 1841 to 1845, and from 1849 to 1853. His practice in the highest courts was extensive, and included many of those great historical cases which have had an influence on our time. He ranked for years as the ablest advocate of the capital. He was also a man of extensive literary culture, and wrote much and ably on literary and political topics.

Feb. 16.-SIMPSON, AUGUSTUS W., a Western journalist, died at Kansas City, aged about 46 years. He was a native of Howard County, Mo., but in early boyhood removed to Booneville, where he resided until the close of the late war. He was for fourteen years editor and publisher of the Observer, an able and influential paper. In 1860 he was elected Public Printer, and, in conjunction with Mr. Ament, published the State Times. In 1865 he aided in establishing the Commercial Advertiser, in Kansas City, devoting to that paper his best energies until a short period before his death.

Feb. 16.-SWAIN, WILLIAM M., founder of the Philadelphia Public Ledger and the Baltimore Sun, died in Philadelphia, aged 59 years. He was a native of Onondaga County, N. Y., and was educated to the printing business, of which he became a thorough master, as well as one of the most successful news

paper publishers in the country. For eight years he was president of the Magnetic Telegraph Company, and for many years a director in the American Telegraph Company. He was largely instrumental in organizing, perfecting, and increasing the telegraph system of the United States, and was a man of great intellectual ability and force of character.

Feb. 18.-SEWALL, Rev. SAMUEL, D. D., a Congregational clergyman, antiquarian, and author, died in Burlington, Mass. He was born in Marblehead, Mass., June 1, 1785; studied at the academy of his native town; graduated at Harvard College in the class of 1804, and took a theological course at Cambridge. In 1814 he was ordained pastor of the Congregational church in Burlington, which relation he held until his death. He was fond of antiquarian studies, and had just finished a full and complete history of the town of Woburn, and for some years had been engaged upon a history of the Sewall family, but did not live to complete it. In 1836 Dr. Sewall was elected a member of the Massachusetts Historical Society.

Feb. 22.-GANNON, MARY, an actress, died in New York City, aged 39 years. She was a native of New York, and commenced the life of an actress when a little child. At six years of age she played at the old Bowery Theatre, and successively at the Franklin, National, Niblo's, and the Park Theatre. Subsequently she performed for some years in Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Charleston, returning to New York in 1848, and entering upon an engagement at the Olympic. In 1849 she became the

wife of George W. Stephenson, a young lawyer, whose death, a few years after, necessitated her return to the stage as a means of support. From that time she was always a great favorite as a comedy actress. She was possessed of much versatility of talent, quick perceptions, unbounded generosity, and a sweet and gentle nature which irresistibly won the love and respect of all who were brought into contact with her.

Feb. 24.-HALL, George WasHINGTON, an eminent teacher, died in Troy, N. Y. He was born at East Haddam, Conn., July 29, 1792; graduated at Yale College in 1803, studied theology, and in 1805 was settled over the Presbyterian church in Cherry Valley, N. Y., where he remained two years. Soon after he removed to New York City, and having experienced a change in his religious views, and become Unitarian in his convictions, he relinquished preaching for teaching. In 1815 he taught in Georgia, and the two following years in Boston. In 1818 he opened a school for boys at Mount Vernon, Westchester County, and soon after went South for his health, and taught at Rutherford, N. C. Upon his return to New York in 1821, he opened a large boarding-school for boys, which obtained great celebrity, and was afterward known as the "Washington Institute." In 1829 his failing health compelled him to dispose of his school and retire to a farm at Shrewsbury, N. J. In 1831 he returned to New York and resumed the charge of the Institute for five years. The last thirty years of his life were spent mainly at Ballston Spa, N. Y.

Feb. 25.-TAYLOE, BENJAMIN OGLE, an accomplished scholar and prominent citizen of Washington, D. C., died in Rome, Italy. He was born at Annapolis, Md., May, 1796, and was descended, through an honorable lineage, from some of the most distinguished families of Virginia and Maryland. His academical education was received at Phillips' Academy, Exeter, and in 1815 he graduated at Harvard University. In 1817 he visited Europe as an attaché of the American ambassador, Hon. Richard Rush, to the court of St. James. In England he received much attention from old family friends, and also in Paris, and, after a protracted tour in Germany and Italy, returned to this country, laden with rare acquisitions of knowledge. Not far from the year 1830 he left his ancestral estate at Mount Airy, Virginia, and took up his residence in Washington, where the hospitalities of his elegant home were widely known. During the late war his losses in landed and personal property in the Southern States were very heavy. In May, 1866, accompanied by his wife and son, he sailed for Europe, for the benefit of his health, and, after spending some months at Leamington Spa, England, went on the Continent, where he remained until his death. Mr. Tayloe was a frequent contributor to the journals of the day. For several years he was a correspondent of

the New York Spirit of the Times, under the signature of " Observer," and more recently of the "Field, Turf, and Fireside," under the signature of "Viator." The National Intelligencer, Richmond Whig, and Troy Whig have also contained in times past many valuable contributions from his pen.

Feb. 29.-FORD, Hon. THOMAS H., ex-Lientenant-Governor of Ohio, died in Washington D. C. He was born in Rockingham County, Va., August 23, 1814, and when quite young removed with his family to the town of Mansfield, Ohio. Upon attaining his majority, he engaged in the practice of law, and also took an active part in the politics of his adopted State, connecting himself with the old Whig party. In 1855 he was elected Lieutenant-Governor of the State, which position he filled with honor to himsel and his constituency. In 1863 he removed to Washington, and, by his eloquence and leal attainments, soon entered the front rank of his profession. He was a faithful and earnest worker in the temperance reform, and had a strong hold upon the respect and love of the community.

Feb.--ASBOTH, Brevet Major-General. S. Vols.) ALEXANDER SANDOR, died at Breas Ayres, S. A. He was born in the county of Zala, Hungary, December 18, 1811; studied a Oedenburg, served for a time in an Austria regiment, and subsequently passed through a course of legal studies at Presburg, and, havin a taste for engineering, was employed ups various important hydraulic works in th Banat. He took part in the Hungarian and accompanied Kossuth to Turkey, sharing his confinement at Kutaieh, and, upon th release in 1851, accompanied that genera the United States, of which he became a c zen. At the commencement of the late w he was appointed chief of staff to General Fre mont, under whom he subsequently served commander of a division. Upon the remo of General Fremont from the West, Colonel As both was made a brigadier-general of volunte and assigned to the command of a division of General Curtis's army, with which he parte pated in the battle of Pea Ridge. In Febru 1863, he was in command at Columbus, Ky., in August, of the same year, he was assigned to the command of the District of West Flor with headquarters at Fort Pickens. He was badly wounded in the Marianna fight in Florida, his left cheek-bone being broken, and his lett arm fractured in two places. He was appo ed a major-general by brevet, for his services in Florida, and in August, 1865, he resigned In March, 1866, he was appointed minister to the Argentine Republic, going thither by T of France, in order to consult some French surgeons. The wound in his face was excee· ingly painful, and the surgeons did not venture to attempt to remove the ball, which was lodged in his neck. This wound caused hi continual suffering, and finally produced his death.

March 1.-HOLT, Judge J. J., died at Lavacca, Texas. He was a brother of Joseph Holt, late Attorney-General U. S., and was at one time Justice of the Tenth Judicial District of that State.

March 4.-BAXTER, PORTUS, died in Washington, D. C. He was born in Brownington, Vt.; received a liberal education, entered the mercantile business, and was elected a Representative from Vermont to the Thirtyseventh Congress, serving on the Committee on Elections; reelected to the Thirty-eighth Congress, and served on the same committee, and also on that of Expenditures in the Navy Department. In 1852 and in 1856 he was a presidential elector. Was reelected to the Thirty-ninth Congress, serving on the Committees on Elections and Agriculture. He was a Republican in politics, and an able defender of the interests and rights of the poor and oppressed.

March 5.-BURROUGHS, CHARLES, D. D., an Episcopal clergyman, died in Portsmouth, N. H. He was born in Boston, Mass., December 27, 1787; graduated at Harvard University in the class of 1806; studied theology, and was ordained priest in 1812. Having been chosen rector of St. John's Church, Portsmouth, he officiated in that capacity for nearly half a century. He was for nearly thirty years president of the New Hampshire Asylum for the Insane; was for nearly forty years annually elected president of the Portsmouth Athenæum; was elected in 1842 corresponding member of the Massachusetts Historical Society, and was president of the General Theological Library of Boston from the period of its establishment until his death. In 1833 the degree of Doctor of Divinity was conferred upon him by Columbia College.

March 6.-COOPER, Mrs. JULIA DEAN, an actress of high reputation, died in New York City, aged 37 years. She was educated by her father (himself an actor) for the stage, and made her first appearance at the old Broadway Theatre. Her success was a flattering one, and her reputation extended West and South, where she married a Mr. Hayne, of Charleston. Seven or eight years after, she moved to San Francisco, having been obliged to return to her profession for the support of her family. Subsequently she separated from her husband, and in 1866 married a Mr. Cooper, of New York. She was a lady of high literary culture and many private virtues.

March 6.-LINCOLN, Dr. ISAAC, an eminent physician in Maine, died at Brunswick, Me. He was born in Cohasset, Mass., January, 1780; graduated at Harvard College in 1800, and subsequently taught a grammar-school in Hingham two years, giving his leisure hours to the study of medicine. In 1804 he commenced practice in Topsham, Me., and in 1820 removed to Brunswick, where he was a successful practitioner for more than half a century. In 1831 The received the honorary degree of Doctor of

Medicine from Bowdoin College, of which institution he was overseer for more than sixty years.


March 11.-ANDREWS, Colonel TIмотпY P., U. S. A., died in Washington, D. C., aged 74 years. When a young boy, without the knowledge of his father, he repaired to the Patuxent River, where commodore Barney's flotilla was confronting the enemy during the War of 1812, and, boarding the flag-ship, tendered his services to the commodore, in any position in which he could be useful. commodore accepted his offer, and employed him as an aide, in which position he rendered valuable services. He subsequently was engaged in active service in the field, and in 1822 was appointed paymaster in the army. In 1847 he resigned to take command of the regiment of voltigeurs raised for the Mexican War. He was distinguished in the battle of El Molino, and brevetted a brigadier-general for gallant and meritorious conduct in the battle of Chapultepec. On the close of the war, and the disbandment of the voltigeurs, he was reinstated by act of Congress in his old situation of paymaster, and in 1851 was promoted to the position of Deputy Paymaster-General. During the late war, upon the death of General Larned, Colonel Andrews succeeded him as Paymaster-General of the army, and his unwearied devotion to the responsible duties of his position seriously affected his health.

March 22.-CARTER, JOSIAH MASON, an eminent lawyer and politician, of Connecticut, died at Norwalk, Conn. He was born in New Canaan, Conn., June 19, 1813; graduated at Yale College in 1836, and, after a course of study in the Law School in New Haven, was, in 1839, admitted to the bar in Fairfield County. From 1840 to 1847 he was engaged in the practice of his profession in New York City, when he removed to Norwalk, and formed a partnership with Thomas B. Butler, which continued until 1855, when Mr. Butler was transferred to the bench. He served three terms in the State Legislature, during the last of which he was Speaker of the House. From 1862 until his death, he held the office of State Attorney for Fairfield County, and was also, for a number of years, chairman of the Board of Education in the town of Norwalk. Mr. C. was once the candidate of his party for the office of LieutenantGovernor, and twice declined the nomination of Judge of the Superior Court.

March 27-FREEMAN, PEYTON RANDOLPH, died in Hanover, N. H., in the 93d year of his age. He was a native of Hanover, and graduated at Dartmouth College in 1796, being the last surviving graduate of that class, and the oldest alumnus of the institution in the order of graduation.

March 27. GOODRICH, Rev. CHAUNCEY, a Congregational clergyman, died in New Haven, Conn. He was the eldest son of Prof. Chauncey A. Goodrich, and was born in Mid

dletown, Conn., July 20, 1817; graduated at Yale College in 1837; after which he spent two years as private tutor and in the Theological Department of the College. In August, 1843, he was settled over the Trinitarian Congregational Church in Malden, Mass., and in 1849 became pastor of the Congregational Church in Watertown, Conn., which charge he relinquished in 1856, on account of an affection of the throat. From this time he resided in New Haven, engaged chiefly in literary labors, especially in connection with the revised edition of Webster's Unabridged Dictionary. He also prepared for and read some valuable papers to the New-Haven Colony Historical Society, of which he was secretary.

March 27.-QUIN, JAMES M., M. D., a distinguished homoeopathic physician, died at Morrisania, N. Y. He was born in New York, in 1806; graduated at Columbia College with honor, and was for a time Professor of Latin and Greek at the college. Subsequently he studied medicine, and, after a few years' practice, became a convert to the doctrines of Hahnemann. His specialties were the diseases of the throat and chest, in the treatment of which he became quite skilful. He was also an accomplished musician, and an acute critic of both music and painting.

March 29.-GRAY, JOHN, reputed to be the last surviving soldier of the Revolution, died in Noble County, Ohio, aged 106 years. He was born at Fairfax Court-house, January 6, 1762. At sixteen years of age, he entered the Continental Army, and served till the close of the war of our Independence. He removed to Ohio before it was a State, and remained there until his death. A few years since, Congress granted him a pension of $500 per annum. March 30. HARTSTENE, ex-Commander HENRY J., formerly of the U. S. Navy, died in Paris, France. He was a native of South Carolina; entered the United States naval service in 1828, and became passed midshipman in 1835, his warrant dating from the previous year. In 1838 he was attached to the Wilkes Exploring Expedition, but only went with the expedition as far as Callao. The next year he was promoted to a lieutenancy, and performed duty in different positions until 1851, when he was attached to the United States Coast Survey. In 1855 he was promoted to be commander, and the same year performed the service for which he is most noted, the rescue of Dr. Kane and his party from the Arctic regions. He was afterward engaged in taking soundings for the Atlantic Cable. At the outbreak of the war, at which time he was waiting orders, he resigned his commission, and was employed by the insurgents, mostly in special service; but in 1862 he became insane, and unfitted for active life.

March 30.-PARKER, Colonel EDWARD GRIFFIN, a politician and author, died in New York City, aged 42 years. He was a native of Massachusetts, graduated at Yale College.

studied law in the office of Rufus Choate, and, having been admitted to the bar in 1849, practised his profession in Boston until the commencement of the late war. He also took an active part in politics, and served in both Houses of the Legislature. On the opening of the war he entered the service as captain on General Butler's staff, and subsequently was adjutant-general and chief of staff of General Martindale during the time that the latter commanded the Department of Washington. At the close of the war he settled in New York, and at the time of his death had charge of the American Literary Bureau of Reference. Colonel Parker was the author of "The Golden Age of American Oratory" (Boston, 1857), and "Reminiscences of Rufus Choate” (New York, 1860). He was also a contributor to some of the leading literary journals.

April 1.-ASHBURN, Col. GEORGE W., & member of the Constitutional Convention of Georgia. He was a native of Georgia, and from the beginning of the war had avowed himself a Union man, and hostile to secession. He raised a conpany (afterward enlarged to a regiment) of Southern loyalists, which he commanded. After the war he returned to his home in Muscogee County, Ga., and advocated boldly and fearlessly the congressional plan of reconstruction, and by so doing, as well as by his active loyalty during the war, incurred the hatred of the rebels of the vicinity. In the autumn of 1867 he was chosen a delegate to the Constitutional Convention, and rendered important services in shap ing and perfecting the constitution of the State. Though naturally a man of impetans temper, and given to expressing himself with great violence, he maintained during the s sion of the convention the utmost self-control, and was uniformly mild and forbearing toward those who opposed the convention. At length, finding that he could not be provoked into violence, his enemies determined to murder him, and at first attempted to charze the murder upon the Republicans, but an itvestigation promptly undertaken by order of General Meade showed conclusively who his murderers were, although they had meantime made their escape.

April 1.-PARKER, JAMES, a prominent and philanthropic citizen of New Jersey, died at Perth Amboy, aged 92 years. He entered pub lic life in 1806, as a member of the Assembly for Middlesex County, having been elected on the Federal ticket. His terms of service were continuous during all the sessions between 15:6 and 1819, excepting that of 1811; and again, after a retirement of eight years, he consented for a special purpose to serve in the session of 1827-28. During his legislative career Mr. Parker originated or perfected many important measures that have resulted greatly to the advantage of the public interests. Among them may be mentioned the establishment of the School Fund, which he labored during severa sessions to effect, and at last with success.

« PreviousContinue »