Page images

Railroad Company, but was compelled to resign by the unhealthiness of the climate. He was an accomplished physician and surgeon, and had already attained high rank in his profession.

Dec. 18.-ROBERTSON, ANTHONY L., Chief Justice of the Superior Court of New York, died there, aged 60 years. He was born in New York City, June, 1808, and received his education at Columbia College, where he graduated in 1825, with high honors. After a thorough course of study he entered upon the practice of law, and became distinguished in his profession; was Assistant Vice-Chancellor for the First Judicial District of New York in 1846, Surrogate of the county of New York in 1848, and in 1859 was elected a Judge of the Superior Court. After the expiration of his term of office in 1865, Judge Robertson was reelected, and during the following year was chosen Chief Justice by his associates. In 1867 he was one of the delegates to the Constitutional Convention, and took an active part in the proceedings of that body.

Dec. 20.-MITCHELL, S. AUGUSTUS, an author of school-books, etc.; died in Philadelphia, Pa. He was a native of Connecticut, and for some years a popular teacher. The imperfection of the geographical text-books in use led him to devote himself to the study of that science, with a view to the preparation of better works, and his successive text-books, maps, and treatises, became standard authorities on the subject. His school geographies had a larger circulation than any others which were brought into competition with them.

Dec. 20.-O'REILLY, Rev. WILLIAM, a Roman Catholic priest, and Vicar-General of the Diocese of Hartford, Conn., died at Newport, R. I., in the 50th year of his age. He was born in Ireland, but came to the United States in 1839, and was ordained a priest in 1844. He was formerly settled at Rochester, where he succeeded his brother, the late Bishop O'Reilly, as pastor of St. Patrick's Church. He subsequently removed to Buffalo, where he was made vicar-general, and continued to reside till 1855, when he was called to the diocese with which he was connected at the time of his death. He was also pastor of St. Mary's Catholic Church at Newport, and founded St. Mary's

School there.

Dec. 21.-PRICE, JOSEPH M., a banker of New York City, and author of "Interest Tables," and other works on exchange, died in New York, aged 64 years. He was educated as a practical surveyor, and in that capacity assisted in the original survey of the Erie Railroad. For some years he was an officer of the New York Bank of Commerce, and subsequently, for fifteen years, President of the Oriental Bank, an experience resulting in the production of his well-known "Interest Tables," and various stock and foreign exchange tables. He was a prominent member of the New York Clearing-House Association, and

was often called to serve on its most import ant committees.

Dec. 22.-JONES, Rev. JOSEPH H., D. D., a Presbyterian clergyman, died in Philadelphia, Pa., aged about 68 years. He graduated at Harvard College and at the Princeton Theological Seminary; was settled many years over the Presbyterian Church in Woodbury, N. J., and subsequently held a long and successful pastorate in New Brunswick, N. J., followed by one of more than twenty years over the Sixth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia. This charge he resigned to take care of the Fund for Disabled Ministers, a trust which he managed with great delicacy and fidelity.

Dec. 26.-GIBBS, Brevet Major-General ALFRED, U. S. A., a brave and gallant officer, died at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. He was born April 23, 1823, and in 1842 entered West Point, where he graduated in 1846. After graduating he was brevetted as second-lieutenant, and assigned to the Mounted Rifles, with orders to join his regiment then engaged in the Mexican campaign. He served through the Mexican War with honor, and was twice brevetted for gallant conduct. After the Mexican War he served in California on the staff of General Persifer F. Smith, and, on the recall of that officer, was ordered to New Mexico on frontier duty. Here he was taken prisoner on the breaking out of the late war, but was subsequently exchanged. On coming North he took command of the 130th New York, and served under Sheridan during the latter part of the war. For gallant and distinguished services he was made brevet major-general of the regular army. General Gibbs was an officer of the army of the United States for twenty-three years, twenty-two of which were spent in active service.

Dec. 28.-BISHOP, Dr. WILLIAM S., U. S. N., Surgeon of the United States Naval Asylum, Philadelphia; died there. He had been nearly twenty-six years in active service, and in 1861 retired with the rank of commander.

Dec. 29.-CLARK, MOSLY, a wagon-driver in the Revolutionary War; died in Richmond, Va., at the great age of 122 years.

Dec. 30.-GREANER, WILLIAM, a tobacco manufacturer in Richmond, Va.; died there, aged 75 years. He was a native of Baltimore, Md., and in 1812 enlisted as a volunteer soldier in the war with Great Britian. In 1815 he returned to his trade in Richmond, and during the late war his factory was used as a prison, under the name of "Castle Thunder."

Dec. 30.-WASHBURNE, ICHABOD, a wealthy and philanthropic manufacturer of Worcester, Mass.; died there, aged about 70 years. He was the founder and proprietor of the well-known "Washburne Iron-Wire Works," and had accumulated great wealth in the manufacture of telegraphic and other kinds of wire. During life he was noted for his benevolence, and his large bequests to charitable objects constitute an enduring monument to

his memory. Among these are large sums for the founding and endowment of hospitals; for the support of mission schools, and homes for aged women; $80,000 to the Worcester County Institute of Industrial Science; also bequests to Missionary, Bible, and Tract Societies, and $20,000 to the Bangor Theological Seminary. Dec. 31.-BYINGTON, Rev. CYRUS, a Congregational clergyman, and for nearly forty-seven years a missionary among the Choctaw Indians; died at Belpre, Ohio. He was born in Stockbridge, Mass., March 11, 1793; prosecuted his theological studies at Andover Seminary, where he graduated in 1819; and, after being for some months in the employ of the Prudential Committee of the American Board of Missions, was sent by them as a missionary to the Choctaws, then in the Southern States. He remained at the Eliot Station from 1821, till the Choctaws, by the treaty of 1830, were compelled to remove to the present Indian Territory, and accompanied them thither, and remained at the new station, Stockbridge, till about 1866, when failing health compelled him to relinquish his work, and he removed to Ohio. Besides his other missionary labors, Mr. Byington prepared several religious books for the Indians and translated portions of the Bible into their language.

OBITUARIES, FOREIGN.-Jan. 2.-DOYLE, JOHN, an eminent political caricaturist and humorous painter and designer, died in London, aged 70 years. He was of Irish extraction, and, having early evinced a taste for art, was placed under the tuition of some of the best masters in Dublin. He was particularly successful in portraiture, though some of his delineations of the horse exhibited great skill. From 1829 to 1840 he aroused much interest in England by his political caricatures, and was known as "H. B." His likenesses were striking, and he was always less a caricaturist than a delineator of characteristics. His Sir Robert Peel, Disraeli, Emperor Nicholas at Ascot races, his Duke of Wellington, and Lord Carlisle, have never been equalled. His satirical specimens were also very successful, and never degenerated into coarseness. In private life he was greatly esteemed.

Jan. a French histo

rian, died in Paris. He was born in England during the temporary exile of his father, who was distinguished in the first French Revolution, and, like his father, was educated for the

number of works into English, and was a contributor to "Le Siècle," and "Le Nain Jaune." He was a vigorous writer, an upright and sternly-principled man, and his extreme poverty came from his honesty.

Jan. 8.-TATTAM, Venerable HENRY, D. D., LL. D., F. R. S., Archdeacon of Bedford, rector of Stanford Rivers, Essex, Eng., died there, aged 72 years. He was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, from which he received the degree of Doctor of Laws. In 1822 he was presented by Lord Eldon, then Lord Chancellor, to the re tory of St. Cuthbert's, Bedford, and in 1831 to the rectory of Great Woolstone, which ben efices he held until 1849, when he was presented to the crown living of Stanford Rivers In 1844 he was presented by the Bishop of Ely to the archdeaconry of Bedford, which he resigned in 1866. Dr. Tattam was a chap lain in ordinary to the Queen, and the author of several theological works in Coptic and English, Coptic and Latin, and Coptic and Arabic, "Helps to Devotion," "A defence of the Church of England," and other works.

Jan. 9.-MORFEY, Mrs., a widow of Claydon, Suffolk, died there, at the advanced age of 106 years. She was for half a century midwife of the Barham Union, and retained her faculties until a few months previous to her death.

Jan. 20.-BROTHERTON, General Sir THOMAS WILLIAM, G. C. B., an officer of the British Army, died near Esher, County of Surrey, age 83 years. He entered the army in 1800; serrel in Egypt, Germany, and in the Peninsular War where he greatly distinguished himself, and won several medals. In 1830 he was appoint ed one of the aides to King William IV.; and subsequently was an inspector-general of alry at headquarters. He was made a general in 1860, and was created a G. C. B. in 1861.

Jan. 20.-VINING, Mrs. MARY, an English tress of great merit, died in London. aged abest 70 years. She was the daughter of the facess actor Tony Johannot, and commenced baletdancing at six years of age. She won grest applause at Drury Lane, Brighton Theatre, and at Covent Garden, where she was engaged fr three years at £9 a week. In November 1833, she appeared in "Gustavus the Third" great applause in the celebrated German Pas. An injury to the spine caused her to retire from the stage a fer years after.

at Covent and won


Jan. 22.-GREY, JOHN, an eminent English medical profession. He relinquished it, how- agriculturist and reformer, died at Lipwool literary pursuits. His talents were such that and was educated at Richmond Grammarever, and subsequently turned his attention to House, near the Tyne. He was born in 1785, was a republican, and too steadfast in princi- of seventeen, his first speech being upon t ple to relinquish or dissemble his political abolition of slavery. He accompanied Lord views, choosing rather to suffer poverty and Brougham in his celebrated antislavery tour humiliation than to swerve from his integrity. in Northumberland and Cumberland, and took He was the author of a "History of Eight an active part in the constitutional agitation Years," written as a continuation of M. Louis for Catholic Emancipation, in the great strugg Blanc's pamphlet "The History of Ten Years," which preceded the Reform Bill of 1832. He

"A History of Roumania; " translated a large

was frequently urged to

go into


but after the passage of the Reform Bill, having been placed in charge of the northern estates of Greenwich Hospital, he ceased to take an active part in politics, although his sympathies always remained with the Liberal party. A large portion of his life was devoted to the study of agriculture, especially in relation to the improvement of the soil, breeding of stock, and the practical application of modern science in all the departments of agriculture. The amelioration of the condition of laborers, building and endowment of schools, and every movement tending to the intellectual growth of the laboring classes, called forth his most earnest efforts, his motto being "The culture of the mind must precede that of the land." Mr. Grey was chairman of the Tyneside Agricultural Association, and a director of the Blythe and Tyne Railway.

Jan. 24.-DAVY, JOHN, M. D., F. R. S., Inspector-General of Army Hospitals, an eminent physicist and author, died at Lesketh How, Ambleside. He was born in Penzance, in 1790, took his medical degree in Edinburgh in 1814; entered the army as a surgeon, and after faithful service rose to the position of inspectorgeneral of army hospitals. He was a copious writer, having written several volumes on general subjects, besides a large number of papers ranging over the whole field of natural science, contributed to the "Philosophical Transac tions," ""Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh,' ," "and the Royal Medico-Chirurgical Society." One of his most recent works consists of a series of "Lectures on Chemistry," in which this science is regarded in its relations to the atmosphere, the earth, the ocean, and the art of agriculture. Mr. Davy was the author of a "Life of Sir Humphrey Davy," and editor of his collected works in nine volumes. Jan. 27. WHITE, Lieutenant-General MrCHAEL, K. C. B., a distinguished cavalry officer of the British Army, died in London. He was born at St. Michael's Mount, in 1791; educated at Westminster School, and entered the army in 1804. In 1809 he was in active field service on the banks of the Sutlej. He commanded cavalry in the Afghan, Sutlej, and Punjab campaigns, and, for his distinguished services in Afghanistan, was nominated a Companion of the Order of the Bath; and for his bravery at Sobraon was appointed an aide-decamp to the Queen. In 1862 he was made a Knight Commander of the Bath.

Jan. 28.-STIFTER, ADALBERT, a popular novel-writer and landscape-painter, of Germany, died at Linz, on the Danube. He was the son of a poor weaver, and was born October 23, 1806, at Oberplan, in Southern Bohemia. With the assistance of friends who saw in him evidences of great talent, he was enabled to complete a course of philosophical and philological studies at the Gymnasium of Kremsmunster and the University of Vienna; and acquired at the same time, to no common degree of perfection, the art of landscape-paint

ing, for which his poet's eye for Nature (a characteristic feature, also, of his tales and novels) especially qualified him. He was 27 years old before he published, in Witthauer's "Zeitschrift," the firstlings of his muse, those charming tales, "Feldblumen," "Der Condor," "Das Haidedor," and since then enjoyed an ever-rising popularity, not only in Austria, but all over Germany. About 1840 Prince Metternich appointed him as tutor to his son Richard, the present ambassador of Austria at the French court, and ten years later he was named "Schulrath" (Superintendent of Schools), and removed from Vienna to Linz, where he had lived ever since. His works insure him a lasting name in German literature. They comprise "Studien" (6 vols., collected tales); "Bunte Steine" (2 vols., collected tales); "Der Nachsomer" (a novel, in 3 vols.); and "Witiko" (likewise a novel, in 3 vols.).

Feb. 6.-HERAPATH, WILLIAM, an English chemist and politician, died in Bristol, Eng., aged 72 years. He was a native of Bristol, and while at work in his father's malthouse displayed a decided taste for chemical study which resulted in his becoming a proficient in the science, and especially in the department of toxicology. He was in frequent and almost constant demand in the examination of alleged cases of poisoning, and his skill in making analyses in this direction not only, but for the benefit of agriculture, manufactures and the arts, rendered his life singularly useful. In 1828 he was elected Professor of Chemistry in the British Medical School. He was also one of the founders of the London Chemical Society. During the Reform agitation of 1831, as president of the Political Union, he did much toward the suppression of the riots in Bristol. On the passing of the Municipal Reform Act, Mr. Herapath became a member of the Town Council.

Feb. 7.-JONES, Admiral THEOBALD, an officer of the British Navy, died in London. He was born in 1790, entered the navy in 1803, was made lieutenant in 1809, was employed in the North Sea, and Channel, and also in the Mediterranean, where in 1810 he shared in a gallant skirmish with the Toulon fleet. He was promoted to be commander in 1814, and commanded the Cherokee, on the Leith station, from 1819 until 1822, and subsequently was second captain in the Prince Regent, at the Nore. In 1865 he became an admiral on the

retired list. In politics he was a Conservative, and represented Londonderry in Parliament from 1830 to 1857.

Feb. 8.-HA-YAH-TA-KEE, the chief of a Japanese troupe of performers, died in New York City, of disease of the heart. He was a man of considerable note in his own country, and near the close of 1867 came to the United States with his family and a corps of performers, but did not meet with as much success as he had expected.

Feb. 15.-DAWES, Rev. WILLIAM Rutter, F.

R. S., F. R. A. S., an eminent English astronomer, died at Hopefield, Haddenham, aged 68 years. He devoted his earlier years to the close and careful study of astronomy, which science he enriched by many valuable observations and memoirs. In 1830 he established an observatory at Ormskirk in Lancashire. In 1839 he took charge of the private observatory erected by Mr. Bishop in Regent's Park, since made famous by the discoveries emanating from it. In 1845 he erected a complete observatory at Camden Lodge, which he shortly after removed to Wateringbury, near Maidstone. Here he made the important discovery of the interior ring of the planet Saturn. Subsequently he removed his instruments to Haddenham, where he made observations till a short time previous to his death, some of which have been of very great value in the advancement of astronomical science, especially his scrutinies of the disks of the planets, and measurements of double stars. In 1851, in company with others, he visited Sweden, to take observations of the famous total solar eclipse of that year.

Feb. 19.-COMBE, Mrs. GEORGE, widow of the author of the "Constitution of Man," and daughter of Mrs. Siddons, died at Nice, France. She was a writer of great ability, and assisted her husband in collecting the materials for his work upon the United States. She accompanied him in all his travels for more than twenty-five years.

Feb. 19.-DALY, Sir DOMINICK, GovernorGeneral of South Australia, died at Adelaide. He was born in 1798. For nearly twenty-six years he was acting Chief Secretary in Canada, in 1851 was appointed Governor of the Island of Tobago, and in 1854 received the honor of knighthood, and was made Lieutenant-Governor of Prince Edward's Island, which appointment he held until 1859. In 1861 he became Governor of South Australia.

Feb. 20.-BAKER, Dr. B. B., an eminent promoter of education in Malta and the Ionian Isles, died at Malta, of apoplexy. He was formerly director of the college at Corfu, and Professor of English Literature in the Ionian University. He was a member of the commission appointed to inquire into and report upon the instruction given in the Lyceum and the primary schools of Malta and Gozo.

Feb. 22.-FLORES, General VENANCIO, President of Uruguay, was assassinated in the streets of Montevideo. General Flores had been a prominent military officer in Uruguay, and in 1866 headed a revolution which overthrew the government of Vidal, and became provisional President of the republic until the next regular election, which was to have been held in February, 1868. Cn the 15th of February, he resigned the presidency, and refused to be a candidate for a reelection. His son, Colonel Fortunato Flores, and some other ambitious young men, attempted to compel him to accept the office again, in the hope of being able

to attain power and office themselves, and his persistent refusal so irritated them that they conspired for his assassination.

Feb. 24.-HERAPATH, JOHN, an English author and publisher, died at Lewisham, agel 77 years. In early life he was associated with his cousin William Herapath in the malt basi ness, and while the latter turned his attention to chemistry, the subject of this sketch became interested in mathematics. Having retired from the business at Bristol, he, for a time, con ducted a mathematical academy for the prepa ration of pupils for the navy. On the formation of the Eastern Counties Railway Company, Le became connected with the railway interes and in 1836 assumed the management of the Railway Magazine, of which, as a weekly paper, under the title of Herapath's Railray Journal, he was for upward of twenty years sole proprietor. He was the author of volumes entitled "Mathematical Physics, which the highest branches of mathematics are applied to the investigation of physical science


Feb. 25.-CROWE, EYRE EVANS, an English historian and journalist, died in London from the exhaustion caused by a surgical operation. He had been connected for many years pas with the London press, having first had an e gagement on the Morning Chronicle, now de funct, and afterward on the Examiner, and the Daily News. For some time he was princiț editor of the latter paper. He was regarded as more thoroughly informed in Continental affairs than any other English journalist. He was very much respected outside of the journa istic profession, and maintained a correspon ence with most of the more prominent pak men on the Continent. He had resided ma of the time in Paris, of late years, collecti the materials for his able "History of France, published about two years since, by Longman He had also published several other works f less importance. His wife, Mrs. Cathare Crowe, authoress of the "Night-Side of N ture" and several other popular works, survive him.

Feb. 25.-GIBSON, Sir JAMES BROWN, M. D K. C. B., Honorary Physician to the Que and Director-General of the medical department of the army, died at Rome, aged 63 years He was a graduate of the University of Edin burgh; entered the service in 1826 as hos pital assistant, and served in every grade rid in 1860, he became director-general, from which post he retired in 1867. In 1855 he was lected as the personal medical attendant of th Duke of Cambridge, and was appointed a K. C. B. in 1865.

Feb. 25.-SECRETAN, Rev. CHARLES FRE ERICK, an Episcopal clergyman and sather, died at Longdon, Worcestershire. He w born December 5, 1820; educated at King's College, London, and Wadham College, Ox ford, where he graduated in 1843 with the highest honors, and in 1844 was ordained and licensed to the curacy of St. Mary's, Westmin

ster, where for seven years he worked indefatigably in the courts and lanes of that crowded district. In 1852 he was presented to the living of Holy Trinity, Vauxhall-road, holding that position until the autumn of 1864. But his labors were beginning to tell upon his naturally delicate constitution, and having been offered the vicarage of Longdon, with Castle Morton, he removed thither and continued his ministry there with his usual zeal until his death. He was the author of a "Memoir of the Life and Times of Robert Nelson" (1860), a brief "Memoir of Archbishop Leighton," "Tracts for the Christian Seasons," and a volume of sermons.

Feb. 25.-TOWNSEND, Rev. CHAUNCEY HARE, in English scholar and author, died in London. He was born in 1800, graduated at Trinity College, Cambridge, in 1821, and in 1828 obained the university prize for English verses, is subject being "Jerusalem." He was the inthor of "Sermons in Sonnets; ""The Three Gates;" "Mesmerism Proved True," and Facts in Mesmerism." He was also one of he colleagues of Macaulay, Praed, and Moulrie in founding the Quarterly Magazine. During his lifetime he had collected a large umber of valuable prints, which he bequeathed o the South Kensington Museum.

Feb. 25.-TURCK, LUDWIG, M. D., an eminent Austrian pathologist and medical professor, ied at Vienna, aged 56 years. He was eduated at the University of Vienna, and received is medical diploma in 1837. Soon after he as appointed one of the physicians of the Genral Hospital of Vienna and had a ward asigned to him of cases of diseases of the brain nd nervous system. Devoting himself to this pecialty of his profession with great assiduity, te published some years later the results of his avestigations on the minute anatomy of the rain and nervous system, and at once became n authority on all questions of nervous patholgy. His studies on these subjects were coninued with unabated ardor until his death, nd for some years past he has been recogized as at the head of his profession in the athology and treatment of these very difficult iseases. In 1857 he invented a method of exmining the larynx, which has since become opular, and to him and Dr. Czermak conointly is due the honor of founding the art of laryngoscopy.

Feb. 26.-WENSLEYDALE, Rt. Hon. JAMES ARKE, first Lord, an able English judge, died a London. He was born at Highfield, March 2, 1782, graduated at Trinity College, Camridge, in 1803, as B. A., fifth wrangler and enior Chancellor's Medallist, and in 1804 was lected to an open fellowship in that college. n 1813 he was called to the bar at the Inner Temple, and, after a lucrative practice of some Fears, was raised to the bench, as prime judge, and six years later to the Court of Exchequer, being sworn at the same time a member of the Privy Council. As Baron Parke, he served

twenty years on the judicial bench, and his familiarity with legal precedents induced Lord Palmerston to call him to the House of Lords in 1855.

Feb. --FOURCAULT, LEON, a French physicist, died in Paris. He was born in that city September 18, 1810, and was educated for the profession of medicine, but subsequently turned his attention to natural philosophy. In 1839 the invention of Daguerre led him to make the theory of light a study, the result of his investigations appearing in a volume published in 1845. In 1859 the invention of the gyroscope and the application of the pendulum to the ocular demonstration of the rotation of the earth made his name famous throughout the civilized world. He next invented a method for making telescopes with silvered glass, an achievement appreciated by all astronomers. His last researches were directed to the determination of the velocity of light. He was a member of the Academy of Science.

Feb.-GEORGIA, ANNA PAULOWNA, Czarina of, born Countess of Koutaissof, died in Moscow. She was a lady of great erudition and benevolence, and was an accomplished writer, and composer of many popular songs. For some years previous to her death she had resided in Moscow, where she was greatly esteemed for her intelligence and genuine worth.

Feb.--GRAVIER, COULVIER, a French physicist, died in Paris. He was born at Rheims, February 26, 1802, and his early advantages of education were limited. While following the plough, he was led to observe the stars, and especially was interested in the phenomena of shooting-stars. In 1840, having removed to Paris, he was introduced to Arago, to whom he communicated his observations, and from whom he received great encouragement in his investigations. In 1850 he was appointed director of the meteorological observatory of the palace of the Luxembourg. He believed that shooting-stars revealed the changes of the weather, being meteors diverted from their original course by prevailing winds in the higher regions of the atmosphere, and consequently that their direction indicated currents whose action would be felt in the lower regions of the air. M. Gravier contributed largely to the Journal of the Academy of Science.

March 2.-BENTINCK, the Baron von Netherlands minister to the court of St. James, and Chamberlain to his Majesty, King of the Netherlands, died in London, aged 70 years. He was formerly secretary of legation at Copenhagen, Stockholm, Berlin, and Vienna; councillor of legation seven years in London; represented his country in Bavaria, Wurtemburg, Belgium, and the Hague. He was a liberal patron of music, and a first-class amateur performer. The baron was the recipient of many honors, both in his own and other countries.

« PreviousContinue »