« PreviousContinue »
UNIFORM WITH THE STANDARD LIBRARY,
BARBAULD'S (MRS.) SELECTIONS FROM THE SPECTATOR, TATLER,
GUARDIAN, AND FREEHOLDER. In 2 Vols. 3s. 6d. per Volume.
BRITISH POETS, from MILTON to KIRKE WHITE, Cabinet Edition, comprising, in a
very small but remarkably clear type, as much matter as the sixty volumes of
Johnson's Poets. Complete in 4 Vols. Frontispieces. 113.
CARY'S TRANSLATION OF DANTE. Extra cloth. 7s. 6d.
CHILLINGWORTH'S RELIGION OF PROTESTANTS. 3. 6d.
CLASSIC TALES;, comprising The Vicar of Wakefield, Elizabeth, Paul and Virginia,
Gulliver's Travels, Sterne's Sentimental Journey, Sorrows of Werter, Theodosius
and Constantia, Castle of Otranto, and Rasselas. 12mo. 7 Portraits. 3s. 6d.
DEMOSTHENES. Translated by LELAND. Portrait. 3s.
HORACE'S ODES AND EPODES, translated literally and rhythmically, by the REV.
W. SEWELL. 3s. 6d.
IRVING'S (WASHINGTON) WORKS. Complete in 10 Vols., £1 15s., or 3s. 6d.
MILLER'S PHILOSOPHY OF HISTORY.
4 Volumes, at 3s. 6d. per Volume.
Third Revised and Improved Edition,
MITFORD'S (MISS) OUR VILLAGE. 2 Vols., New Edition, with Woodcuts and beau-
tiful Frontispieces on Steel, gilt cloth. Each Vol. 5s.
NORWAY. A Road Book for Tourists in Norway, with Hints to English Sportsmen and
Anglers, by THOMAS FORESTER, Esq. Limp cloth. 2s.
PARKES ELEMENTARY CHEMISTRY, incorporating the CATECHISM. New
Edition, with wood cuts, revised, 33. 6d.
UNIFORM WITH THE STANDARD LIBRARY.
SHAKSPEARE'S PLAYS AND POEMS, with Life, by CHALMERS. In 1 Vol.
the same, Embellished with 40 pleasing Steel Engravings, elegantly bound
in red Turkey cloth, gilt edges. 5s.
STANDARD LIBRARY CYCLOPÆDIA OF POLITICAL, CONSTITUTIONAL,
STATISTICAL, AND FORENSIC KNOWLEDGE. 4 Vols. 3s. 6d. each.
This work contains as much as eight ordinary octavos. It was first published in another
shape by Mr. Charles Knight, under the title of Political Dictionary, at £1 168. The Com
piler, MR. GEORGE LOXG, is one of the most competent Scholars of the day.
STURM'S MORNING COMMUNINGS WITH GOD. New Edition. 5s.
UNCLE TOM'S CABIN, with Introductory Remarks by the REV. J. SHERMAN
(printed in a large clear type, with head-lines of Contents). 2s. 6d.
The same, on fine paper, with 8 new Illustrations by LEECH and GILBERT,
and a beautiful Frontispiece by HINCHLIFF. 3s. 6d.
THE WIDE, WIDE WORLD, by ELIZABETH WETHERELL. Complete in 1 Vol, with
Frontispiece, gilt edges. 3s. 6d.
The same, Illustrated with 9 highly finished Engravings on Steel, richly
bound in cloth, gilt edges. 5s.
BOHN'S LIBRARY OF FRENCH MEMOIRS.
Uniform with the STANDARD LIBRARY, price 3s. Od. per Volume.
1&2. MEMOIRS OF PHILIP DE COMMINES, containing the Histories of Louis XI.
and Charles VIII., Kings of France, and of Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy.
To which is added, The Scandalous Chronicle. In 2 volumes. Portraits.
3, 4, 5 & 6. MEMOIRS OF THE DUKE OF SULLY, Prime Minister to Henry the
Great. With Notes and an Historical Introduction by SIR WALTER SCOTT.
In 4 vols. With a General Index. Portraits.
BOHN'S SCIENTIFIC LIBRARY.
Uniform with the STANDARD LIBRARY, price 5s., (excepting "Cosmos," Kidd, and
Whewell, which are 3s. 6d., and Mantell's "Petrifactions," which is 6s.)
1. STAUNTON'S CHESS PLAYER'S HAND-BOOK, with Diagrams.
2. LECTURES ON PAINTING, by THE ROYAL ACADEMICIANS.
3, 4, 8, & 15. HUMBOLDT'S COSMOS; or, Sketch of a Physical Description of
the Universe. Translated, with Notes, by E. C. OTTE. In 4 Vols., with fine
Portrait. This Translation (though published at so low a price) is more complete
than any other. The Notes are placed beneath the text. Humboldt's analytica
summaries, and the passages hitherto suppressed, are included; and comprehensive
Indices subjoined. 3s. 6d. per Volume.
5. STAUNTON'S CHESS PLAYER'S COMPANION, comprising a New Treatise on
Odds, a Collection of Match Games, Original Problems, &c.
6. HAND-BOOK OF GAMES, by VARIOUS AMATEURS and PROFESSORS.
7. HUMBOLDT'S VIEWS OF NATURE, with coloured view of Chimborazo, &c.
9. RICHARDSON'S GEOLOGY, AND PALEONTOLOGY, Revised by Dr. WRIGHT,
with upwards of 400 Illustrations on Wood.
BOHN'S SCIENTIFIC LIBRARY.
29. COMTE'S PHILOSOPHY OF THE SCIENCES, Edited from the 'Cours de
Philosophie Positive,' by G. H. LEWES, Esq.
30. MANTELL'S (DR.) GEOLOGICAL EXCURSIONS, including THE ISLE OF
WIGHT. New Edition, with Prefatory Note by T. PPERT JONES, Esq., numerous
beautiful Woodcuts, and a Geological Map.
31. HUNT'S POETRY OF SCIENCE; or, Studies of the Physical Phenomena of
Nature. 3rd Edition, revised and enlarged.
32 & 33. ENNEMOSER'S HISTORY OF MAGIC, Translated from the German by
WILLIAM HOWITT. With an Appendix by MARY HOWITT. In 2 Vols.
34. HUNT'S ELEMENTARY PHYSICS; an Introduction to the Study of Natural
Philosophy. New Edition, revised. Numerous Woodcuts and Coloured Frontispiece.
35. HANDBOOK OF DOMESTIC MEDICINE, by an eminent Physician (700 pages).
36. STANLEY'S CLASSIFIED SYNOPSIS of Dutch, Flemish, and German Painters.
37. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. PROUT on Chemistry, Meterology, and the
Function of Digestion. Edited by DR. GRIFFITH. Coloured Maps.
38. JOYCE'S SCIENTIFIC DIALOGUES. New and Enlarger dition, completed
to the present state of knowledge by DR. GRIFFITH. Numus Woodcuts.
32. STOCKHARD'S AGRICULTURAL CHEMISTRY: or CHEMICAL FIELD
LECTURES. Addressed to Farmers. With Notes by PROFESSOR HENFREY and
a Paper on LIQUID MANURE, by J. J. MECHI, Esq.
9. CRUIKSHANK'S THREE COURSES AND DESSERT, with 50 Illustrations.
0. PICKERING'S RACES OF MAN, with numerous Portraits (or Coloured 7s. 6d.)
11. KITTO'S SCRIPTURE LANDS, AND BIBLICAL ATLAS, with 24 Maps, (or
Coloured, 7s. 6d.)
19. MAXWELL'S VICTORIES OF WELLINGTON AND THE BRITISH ARMIES,
with Engravings on Steel.
20. LIFE OF WELLINGTON, by
AN OLD SOLDIER," compiled from the materials of
Maxwell; with au Account of the Funeral. 18 kighly-finished steel Engravings.
21. MARY AND WM. HOWITT'S STORIES OF ENGLISH AND FOREIGN LIFE,
with 20 beautiful Steel Engravings.
22. BECHSTEIN'S CAGE and CHAMBER BIRDS, including SWEET's Warblers.
New Edition, greatly enlarged, numerous Plates (or Coloured, 7s. 6d.)
23. NORWAY AND ITS SCENERY, comprising PRICE'S Journal, with large Addi-
tions and a Road Book. Edited by THOS. FORESTER, Esq. With 22 Illustrations,
beautifully Engraved on Steei by Lucas.
*.* The Road Book is sold separately, price 28.
25; PICTORIAL HANDBOOK OF LONDON, comprising its Antiquities, Architec-
ture, Arts, Manufactus, Trade, Social, Literary, and Scientific Institutions,
Exhibitions, and Galleries of Art. With 205 Engravings on wood, and large Map.
26. MARY HOWITT'S PICTORIAL CALENDAR OF THE SEASONS
Upwards of 100 Illustrations.
34, WALKER'S MANLY EXERCISES; containing Skating, Riding, Driving, Shooting,
Sailing, Rowing, Swimming, &c. Revised by "CRAVEN." Tenth Edition, with
44 Plates and numerous Woodcuts.
35. MILLER'S HISTORY OF THE ANGLO-SAXONS, on the basis of SHARON
TURNER. With Index, Portrait of Alfred, Map of Saxon Britain, and 12 Engra
vings on steel after Harvey.
36. MICHAEL ANGELO AND RAPHAEL. By DUPPA and QUATREMERE DE
QUINCY. With 13 highly-finished Engravings, including the Cartoons.
37. WALTON'S COMPLETE ANGLER; with Notes practical and historical. Edited
by ED. JESSE and HENRY G. Bos. Embellished with 203 Engravings on Wood,
price 58.;-or with the addition of 26 Engravings on Steel, 7s. 6d.
THE PRINCIPAL FACTS IN THE CHRONOLOGY AND HIS-
TORY OF THE WORLD, FROM THE EARLIEST
TO THE PRESENT TIME.
BEING A COMPLETE INDEX TO THE ENLARGED EDITION OF
BLAIR'S CHRONOLOGICAL TABLES.
HENRY G. BOHN, YORK STREET, COVENT GARDEN.