« PreviousContinue »
An Act to incorporate the town of Beckley, in
the county of Raleigh.
Passed Feb. 20, 1872.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of West Virginia :
1. That the place known as “Beckley” in the county of Raleigh, be and the same is hereby made a town corporate and a body politic by the name of “The town of Beckley," and shall in all respects be subject to the provisions of chapter forty-seven of the code, entitled “of townships and villages."
Corporatc limits 2. The corporate limits of said town shall be as follows:
Beginning at a white oak stump, corner of E. Prince's sur-
for their payment.
subscribe to the capital stock of the Wheeling
and Tuscarawas Valley Railroad Company. Lia:
Passed February 20, 1872.
1. That the council of the city of Wheeling, in Ohio Authority to Badi county, is authorized and empowered to subscribe in the capital stock.
name and on behalf of the said city, to the capital stock
scription to be chi city, shall cause a vote to be taken upon the question at submitted to a
the several places of voting in the said city, at any gen-
3. The right to the stock subscribed for, in pursuance of Captal stock ;
Result ; how as
What the ballots
required to au
time to time to appoint a proxy to represent the said stock
in the meetings and elections to be held by the stockDividenis; how holders of the company. The dividends on such stock collected, and where paid. shall be collected, as the city council may order, and paid
into the city treasury.
the council of said city, that it will construct its road into
tion company to
Council authorized to grant right of way.
5. The council of said city of Wheeling is authorized to grant to said railroad company the use of any of the streets and alleys or public grounds within said city for the track upon such terms and restrictions as it may prescribe.
andoah Valley Railroad through the counties
, and to provide for such extension, by empowering the boards of supervisors of said counties, to submit the question of a subscription to the capital stock of and for the condemnation of land for right of way for the lenandoal Valley Railroad Company, by said coun ties, or either of them, to the al voters thereof; and also, to authorize ans township, in either of said counties, or any municipal corporation within the same, to subscribe to said capital stock forthe same purpose, and to confer additional privileges upon said company, to facilitate such extension.
Passed February 20, 1872.
1. That the provisions of chapter thirty-nine, of the to the cour ties acts of 1870, authorizing the Shenandoah Valley Railroad of Monroe,
company to construet their road through the State of West
Act of 1877, made to aj ply
by West Va.
Virginia, be made applicable to the counties of Monroe, Suramers: Mer-
ships and cor
Question to be
2. That the right is hereby granted said company to Right to locate locate their said road, or any branch thereof, through the said counties, by the most practicable route that the board of directors may determine.
3. It shall be lawful for any county, township of any subscriptions by county, or any municipal corporation in this State, to sub-counties, townscribe for and to own parts of the capital stock of said porations. company, in the manner hereinafter prescribed; the board of supervisors of any county acting for a county or township, or the council of any municipal corporation, acting for such municipal corporation, shall submit the question of subscription to the capital stock of said company to the submitted to voters of such county or township, or to the voters of such municipal corporation to test the sense of the voters as to whether such county, township or municipal corporation, desire to make such subscription. And such board of supervisors, or council of any municipal who to fix corporation, shall have power to fix the amount of such terms of asubsubscription to be voted for, and shall have power to fix time of election. the terms and conditions upon which such subscription may be made, and when the same shall be made, and shall have power to order a special election on the question, tr,
the time of such special election, and to provide for holding the same at the several places of voting in such county, township or municipal corporation, after having Notice. posted written or printed notices of such special election with a copy of the ordinance directing such election, stating the time of the election, the amount of the proposed What to contain subscription, the terms and conditions of, and where the same is to be made, for at least thirty days before such election, and by publication of a like notice for three successive Must be puzz weeks in every newspaper, if any be publised in every such township or municipal corporation, or they may order such county, election to be had at any general election in this State.
Place of voting.
Result; to whom certified.
Election; where Such elections shall be held at the places, and conducted
in the manner and by the persons prescribed by law for general elections. Those voting for such proposed subscription, shall have written or printed on their ballots the
words " for subscription, and those voting against it, the prepared. words "against subscription." The result of the election
in a county or township shall be certified to the board of supervisors of the county, and in the case of a municipal
corporation, to the council thereof. If a majority of the jority vote for it voters of such county, township or municipal corporation,
as the case may be, voting on the question, be for the proposed subscription, then the amount which was proposed. shall be subscribed to the capital stock of said company, on behalf of the county, township or municipal corporation, so having voted for the same, upon the terms and
conditions imposed by such ordinance submitting the quesAuthority to tion to such vote. To pay for such subscription so made
by a county, township or municipal corporation, the president and board of supervisors acting for such county or township, and the mayor and recorder acting for such municipal corporation, may issue bonds under their official
signatures, in sums of one hundred dollars each, or some When payable. multiple of one hundred dollars, payable within twenty
years, bearing not more than ten per centum interest, payable annually, and such interest shall be taken in payment
of taxes and other public debts to such county, township ment for taxes, or municipal corporation, and the supervisors acting for a
county or township shall assess and cause to be collected as other taxes uncollected, upon the real and personal property within such county or township, subject to taxa
tion for State purposes, taxes sufficient to pay the interest Sinking fund to on such bonds, and to provide a sinking fund to discharge pay principal.
the principal of such bonds when the same shall become due; and the council of such municipal corporation, so subscribing, shall impose and collect in like manner, and upon like subjects, the necessary taxes for the payment of the interest, and to provide a sinking fund to discharge
the principal of the bonds so issued by such municipal corSubscriptions by poration; but nothing herein contained shall be so con
strued as to prohibit any county from making subscription of stock to said company, in the manner prescribed by the code of this State.
4. When the said road, or any branches thereof are
Interest to be taken in pay
How collected and paid.
county under code not prohibited.