« PreviousContinue »
3. BLESSED (4) are the POOR in SPIRIT: for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.
(a) Gen. xviii. 27. And Abraham answered and faid, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but DUST and ASHES.
Chap. xxxii. 10. I am not worthy of the leaft of all the Mercies, and of all the Truth which thou haft fhewed unto thy Servant. Job vii. 17. What is MAN, that thou shouldft magnify him? and that thou fhouldft fet thine HEART upon him?
Chap. xiv. 1. Man that is born of a Woman, is of few Days, and full of TROUBLE;
2. He cometh forth like a Flower, and is cut down: he fleeth also as a Shadow, and continueth not.
3. And doft thou OPEN THINE EYES upon SUCH an О■ɛ, and bringeft me into Judgment with thee?
4. Who can bring a clean Thing out of an unclean? Not one. Chap. xxii. 29. When Men are caft down, then thou shalt fay, There is lifting up: And he fhall fave the HUMBLE Perfon. Chap. xxv. 5. Behold even to the Moon, and it shineth not; yea, the Stars are not pure in his Sight.
6. How much lefs MAN which is a WORM: and the Son of Man which is a Worm?
Chap. xl. 3. Then Job answered the Lord, and said,
4. Behold, I am VILE, what fhall I anfwer thee? I will lay mine Hand upon my Mouth.
5. Once have I fpoken, but I will not answer: yea, twice, but I will proceed no further.
Chap. xlii. 5. I have heard of thee by the Hearing of the Ear: but now mine Eye feeth thee.
6. Wherefore I ABHOR myself, and repent in DUST and ASHES. Pfalm viii. 3. When I confider thy Heavens, the Work of thy Fingers, the Moon and the Stars which thou haft ordained :
4. What is MAN, that thou art MINDFUL of him? and the Son of Man, that thou VISITEST him?
Pf. xxxiv. 18. The LORD is NIGH unto them that are of a BROKEN Heart, and faveth fuch as be of a coNTRITE SPIRIT.
P. xxxix. 5. Behold thou haft made my Days as an Hand< breadth, and mine Age is as NOTHING before thee: Verily every Man at his best State is altogether VANITY.
11. When thou with Rebukes doft correct Man for INIQUITY, thou makest his Beauty to confume away like a Moth: Surely every Man is VANITY.
P. li. 17. The Sacrifices of God are a BROKEN SPIRIT: a BROKEN and a CONTRITE HEART, O God, thou wilt not despise. P. lxxii. 4. He fhall judge the Poor of the People, he fhall fave the Children of the Needy, and shall break in pieces the Oppreffor.
12. For he shall deliver the Needy when he crieth: the Poor alfo, and him that hath no Helper.
13. He shall spare the Poor and Needy, and shall fave the Souls of the Needy.
Pf. cxxxi. 1. Lord, my Heart is not HAUGHTY, nor mine Eyes LOFTY: neither do I exercise my self in great Matters, or in Things too HIGH for me.
2. Surely I have behaved and quieted my felf as a Child that is weaned of his Mother: my SouL is even as a weaned CHILD. 3. Let Ifrael hope in the LORD, from henceforth and for ever. Pf. cxxxviii. 6. Though the Lord be HIGH, yet hath he Respect unto the LOWLY: but the PROUD he knoweth afar off.
Prov. iii. 7. Be not WISE in thine own Eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from EVIL.
34. Surely he fcorneth the Scorners: but he giveth Grace unto the LowLY.
Chap. xvi. 2. All the Ways of a Man are clean in his own Eyes: but the LORD weigheth the SPIRITS.
5. Every one that is PROUD in Heart, is an ABOMINATION to the Lord.
18. PRIDE goeth before DESTRUCTION and an HAUGHTY SPIRIT before a Fall.
19. Better is it to be of an HUMBLE SPIRIT with the LOWLY, than to divide the Spoil with the PROUD.
Chap. xviii. 12. Before Destruction the Heart of Man is HAUGHTY, and before HONOUR is HUMILITY.
Chap. xxix. 23. A Man's PRIDE fhall bring him low: but HoNOUR fhall uphold the HUMBLE in SPIRIT.
Ifai. ii. 11. The LOFTY LOOKS of Man fhall be HUMBLED, and the HAUGHTINESS of Man fhall be bowed down, and the Lord alone fhall be exalted in that Day.
12. For the Day of the Lord of Hofts fhall be upon every one that is PROUD and LOFTY, and upon every one that is lifted up, and he fhall be brought low.
17. And the LOFTINESS of Man fhall be bowed down, and the HAUGHTINESS of Man fhall be made low: and the Lord alone fhall be exalted in that Day.
Chap. vi. 5. Then faid Í, Wo is is me, for I am undone, because I am a Man of UNCLEAN LIPS, and I dwell in the midst of a People of unclean Lips: for mine Eyes have seen the KING, the LORD of HOSTS.
Chap. lvii. 15. For thus faith the HIGH and LOFTY ONE that inhabiteth Eternity, whofe Name is Holy, I dwell in the high and holy Place; with him alfo that is of a CONTRITE and HUMBLE SPIRIT, to revive the SPIRIT of the HUMBLE, and to revive the Heart of the CONTRITE Ones.
Chap. lxvi. 1. Thus faith the Lord, The Heaven is my Throne, and the Earth is my Footstool where is the House that ye build uinto me? and where is the Place of my rest ?
For all thofe Things hath mine Hand made, and all those Things have been, faith the Lord: but to this Man will I look, even to him that is of POOR, and of a CONTRITE SPIRIT, and trembleth at my Word.
Ezek. xxi. 26. Thus faith the Lord God, EXALT him that is Low, and ABASE him that is HIGH.
Dan. iv. 37. Now I Nebuchadnezzar PRAISE, and EXTOL, and HONOUR the KING of Heaven, all whose Works are Truth, and his Ways Judgment, and THOSE THAT WALK IN PRIDE he is able to ABASE.
Mal. iv. 1. For behold, the Day cometh that fhall burn as an Oven, and all the PROUD, yea, and all that do WICKEDLY, fhall be Stubble, and the Day that cometh fhall burn them up, faith the Lord of Hofts, that it fhall leave them neither Root nor Branch.
2. But unto you that fear my Name, fhall the SUN OF RIGHTEOUSNESS arife with Healing in his WINGS.
Matt. xxiii. 12. Whofoever fhall EXALT himself, fhall be ABAS. ED; and he that fhall HUMBLE himself, shall be EXALTED.
Luke xvii. 10. When ye fhall have done all those Things which are commanded you, fay, We are UNPROFITABLE Servants: we have done that which was our Duty to do.
Rom. xii. 3. For I fay through the Grace given unto me, to every Man that is among you, not to think of himself more HIGHLy than he ought to think; but to think foberly, according as God hath dealt to every Man the Measure of Faith.
16. Be of the fame Mind one towards another, mind not HIGH THINGS, but condescend to Men of low Eftate. Be not wife in your own Conceits.
Gal. vi. 3. For if a Man think himself to be SOMETHING, when he is NOTHING, he deceiveth himself.
Phil. ii. 3. Let nothing be done through Strife, or VAINGLORY, but in Lowlinefs of MIND, let each efteem other better than themselves.
1 Pet. v. 5. Likewife, ye Younger, fubmit your felves unto the Elder: yea, all of you be fubject one to another, and be CLOATHED with HUMILITY: for God refifteth the PROUD, and giveth Grace to the HUMBLE.
6. Humble your felves therefore under the mighty Hand of God, that he may EXALT you in due Time.
4. BLESSED (b) are they that MOURN : for they shall be
(b) Ezra ix. 5. And at the Evening Sacrifice, I arose up from my Heaviness, and having rent my Garment and my Mantle, I fell upon my Knees, and fpread out my Hands unto the Lord my God,
6. And faid, O my God, I am ASHAMED and blush to lift up my Face to thee, my God: for our INIQUITIES are increased over our Head, and our Trefpafs is grown up unto the Heavens. Pfalm xxxviii. 18. I will declare mine INIQUITY, and be forry for my SIN.
Pf. xlii. 9. I will fay unto God my Rock, Why haft thou for gotten me? Why go I MOURNING becaufe of the Oppreffion of the Enemy?
11. Why art thou CAST DOWN, O my SouL? and why art thou difquieted within me? Hope thou in God, for I fhall yet praife him, who is the Health of my Countenance, and my God.
Pf. cxix. 53. HORROR hath taken hold upon me, because of the WICKED that forfake thy Law.
136. Rivers of Waters run down mine Eyes: because they keep not thy Law.
143. TROUBLE and ANGUISH have taken hold on me: yet thy Commandments are my Delight.
145. I CRIED with my whole Heart, hear me, O Lord: I will keep thy Statutes.
153. Confider mine AFFLICTION, and deliver me: for I do not forget thy Law.
158. I beheld the Tranfgreffors, and was grieved: because they kept not thy WORD.
Fer. iii. 12. Go, and proclaim thefe Words toward the North, and fay, RETURN thou Backfliding Ifrael, faith the LORD, and I will not caufe mine ANGER to fall upon you: for I am MERCI FUL, faith the LORD, and I will not keep Anger for ever.
13. Only ACKNOWLEDGE thine INIQUITY that thou haft tranfgreffed against the LORD thy GOD, and haft fcattered thy Ways to the Strangers under every green Tree, and ye have not obeyed my Voice, faith the LORD.
Chap. xiv. 7. O Lord, though our INIQUITIES teftify against us, do thou it for thy Name's fake: for our Backflidings are many, we have SINNED against thee.
20. We acknowledge, O LORD, our Wickednefs, and the Iniquity of our Fathers: for we have finned against thee.
Lament. i. 18. The Lord is righteous, for I have rebelled against his Commandments: Hear, I pray you, all People, and behold my SORROW.
Joel ii. 12. Therefore alfo now faith the LORD, TURN ye even to me with all your HEART, and with FASTING, and with WEEPING, and with MOURNING.
13. And rent your HEARTS, and not your Garments, and turn unto the LORD your GoD: for he is Gracious and Merciful, flow to Anger, and of great Kindness, and repenteth him of the Evil.
Luke xv. 18. I will arife, and go to my Father, and will fay unto him, Father, I have finned against Heaven, and before thee,. 19. And am no more worthy to be called thy Son: make me as one of thy HIRED SERVANTS.
20. And he arofe, and came to his Father. But when he was yet a great way off, his Father faw him, and had Compaffion, and ran, and fell on his Neck, and kissed him.
21. And his Son faid unto him, Father, I have finned against Heaven, and in thy fight, and am no more worthy to be called thy Son.
2 Cor. vii. 10. For GODLY SORROW worketh Repentance to Salvation not to be repented of: but the Sorrow of the World worketh Death.
11. For behold, this felf-fame Thing that ye forrowed after a GODLY fort, what Carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what Clearing of your felves, yea, what Indignation, yea, what Fear, yea, what vehement Defire, yea, what Zeal.
2 Pet. ii. 7. And delivered juft Lot, vexed with the filthy Converfation of the Wicked:
8. (For that righteous Man dwelling among them, in feeing and hearing, vexed his righteous Soul from Day to Day, with their UNLAWFUL Deeds)
James iv. 9. Be AFFLICTED, and MOURN, and WEEP: let your Laughter be turned to MOURNING, and your Joy to HEAVINESS. 10. Humble your felves in the Sight of the Lord, and he shall LIFT you UP.
Luke vi. 21. Bleffed are ye that wEEP now: for ye shall laugh. Rev. xxi. 4. And God fhall wipe away all TEARS from their Eyes; and there fhall be no more DEATH, neither SORROW, nor CRYING, neither fhall there be any more PAIN: for the former Things are paffed away.
5. BLESSED (c) are the MEEK: for they fhall INHERIT the EARTH.
(c) Pfalm xxv. 9. The MEEK will he guide in Judgment: and the MEEK will he teach his Way.
P. xxii. 26. The MEEK fhall eat and be fatisfied: they fhall praife the Lord that SEEK him; your Heart fhall live for ever. P. xxxvii. 11. But the MEEK fhall INHERIT the EARTH: and fhall delight themselves in abundance of Peace.
Ifai. xxix. 19. The MEEK alfo fhall increase their Joy in the Lord, and the Poor among Men fhall rejoice in the Holy One of Ifrael.
Chap. Ixi. 1. The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord hath anointed me to preach GOOD TIDINGS unto the MEEK, he hath fent me to bind up the Broken-hearted, to proclaim Liberty to the Captives, and the opening of the Prison to them that are bound.
Matt. xi. 28. Come unto me, all ye that LABOUR, and are heavy LADEN, and I will give you Rest.
29. Take my Yoke upon you, and learn of me, for I am MEEK