Page images

McCaffrey says Nurse Hall left before any one had been found to take his place. Dr. Parker testified that Raymond came the morning that Hall left, and that was a fact.

McCaffrey says Hall was discharged because Mrs. Lincoln bad made it (Hall's drunkenness) publicly known. Hall left Nov. 27, 1893, and Mrs. Lincoln's latter series of letter on Public Institution at Long Islanı began Jan. 10, 1894.

McCaffrey testified that Alexander Wallace, who he said died under suspicious circumstances, was up and about working at the hospital the night before he died. The fact is, as Dr. Parker testified, that Wallace did not and could not work in the hospital.

McCaffrey says he reported Smith for drunkenness on the 22d of May, and I replied that the inmates were down on Sinith and that it was a made-up yarn. Now, when he testified before the Commissioners at their investigation of Sunith for drunkenness, be said that he saw Smith drunk in the receiving-room asleep in his chairop May 21, which was Sunday, by the way, and McCaffrev not there, and reported the fact to me. How lie reconciles this statement before the Commissioners with the reply he now tells you I made to him I can't understand.

McCaffrey tried to show that we only ventilated the hospital three-quarters of an hour before boat-time. He only ventilated his ignorance of the subject, however, as was shown by Dr. Parker's testimony.

I might say bere that we have two systems of ventilating the hospital wards, the first by transoins and ventilators at the top of the rooms, and the second, when everything is closed op in winter, by forcing fresh air, previously beated, into the wards, which forces the foul air out through ventilators on the floor. The latter is only used when we have heal in the hospital.

McCaffrey says there was no gas in the hospital. It has been working there since August, 1893.

Mr. McCaffrey says when we commenced to bury I told bim it was his duty to attend to the burials, which was true. He also says that until after he had made a mistake, which by the way was only discovered just before he left, he never received any orders to take charge of the burials.

On this subject of the mistake made in sending up the body of Fred Rallion for a woman, Mr. Caffrey testified quite differently at different times. First he gives what was the correct version, and says he will take the blame of it, as he ought to have gone to the graveyard wiib the bodies. Later on a thought strikes bim that this will be an excellent chance to lay yet another fanlt at my bands, and he says, “ I was on the way down to the graveyard with these two bodies on what they call the “ jigger” going to attend to the matter myself, and Dr. Cogswell came along and sent me up to tbe baro. I jumped off the jigger and went up to the barn on an errand for him. I can remember it just as well as if it happened to-day.” To clinch it he says that he can remember the load he took (not strange, as there is but one) and just where he

Now, gentlemen, what are the facts. I started for Chicago on the evening of October 6. Fred Rallion died October 8, and was buried on the 13, while I did not return from Chicago till the morning of October 17. Our records show the dates of death and burial, and Mr. McCaffrey's signature on the milk requisitions will show I was away between the dates I have given; so you see it is impossible that I should have sent McCraffrey to the barn, and I leave you to guess the plain English for the whole statement, which is typical and shows the true animous and creditability of his whole testimony.

met me.

McCaffrey says Dr. Bennett did not go tbrough the wards with me on Aug. 16, 1893. Mr. Morphy says that he did, and it was the fact.

McCaffrey says I only visited the hospital off op, or only when cutting rations. Morphy says I visited the liospital about daily. Mr. Morphy states a fact, while McCaffrey speaks of something about which he knows nothing.

I sent Fred Rallion to the hospital two or three weeks before the time referred to by McCaffrey and discharged him the day I did at his own request, he not liking to stay in the hospital," and having nothing the matter with bio but the infirmities of old age. In speaking of this case of Rallion, Mr. McCaffrey says, " He was llischarged by Dr. Cogswell andI had him sent back again that same day, the day he was discharged.” Rallion was discharged Aug. 16, 1893, and was reallmitted Aug. 18, 1893, and died Oct. 8, 1893.

McCaffrey says there is a flag raised at Deer Island to notify us that clistinguished guests are on board the boat. That can hardly be the reason for raising the flag as it was done for years before the institution was located on Lovg Island.

He says Dr. Sullivan put some stitches in a woman's leg who fell down stairs. Dr. Sullivau was not there; it was Dr. Bennett, and there was no necessity for stitches, nor were any taken.

McCaffrey says I would not sign a death certificate until I received two dollars. I am required by lawr to sign them. The insurance papers, which I presume lie refers to, are made out by me, as the rules of the companies require. All physicians get two dollars for filling out the same, and I do when I can. This I am sorry to say is not very often, most of the time the parties say they are poor. In these cases I bave cast my bread on the waters, and as yet the

many days” have not expired.

Dr. Parker, in testifying, does not seem to me to have the faculty of calling on his imagination for facts quite equal to Mr. McCarfrey, though it is fairly well developed; still he has that which is more desirable ; namely, a convenient memors, for who of us would not give much to remember what we wish and to forget whatever is inconvenient to remember.

Dr. Parker started out with the statement that he had heen summoned to be present at previous hearings, but that he had not come because I had instructed him not to. This statement was considerably modified under cross-examination.

Dr. Parker was sunmoned to attend the second hearing, and told me so, saying that he did not care to go and testify. I told him be was not obliged to if he did not wish, but that I should much prefer he would. On the morning of the hearing I told him I thought he had better remain on the island as the deputy superintendent was very sick with pneumonia, saying I did not think there was any possibility of his being called upon, but that if I found his presence was needed I would send the police-boat " Protector” down after him.

In the case of Emma Forsman, the girl had chancroids and venereal warts. Dr. Parker called me in to see her one day anıl said he wanted to operate. I advised him to wait until he got the parts cleaned up and a little more healthy and when he operated to c:auterize, for if he nised the knife there would be danger of inoculating the cut surfaces.

Dr. Parker says there was a change in the pature of my duties somewhere in December, the time is corroborated by Mr. Morplay in his testimony. It was not due to the letter of Mrs. Lincoln, as he tried to insinuate, for that did not appear until January 10, but to the young man himself, and if I had relieved him from the active management of patients and hospital on Dec. 28, 1893, in place of May 29, 1894, I should have done better.

On the evening of February 27 I called Drs. Parker and Leach into my office and told them I wished to have a talk with them on their respective duties. This investigation was not the cause of it, but the criticisms which I liad seen in the report of the Board of Visitors. I asked each to define exactly what be understood to he his duties. There never was any doubt in my mind about what I espected from them, and I wanted to see if ther were equally clear. If I had told them their duties I never could have said as I can now, that they understood their duties to be the same as I did. It was not a secret conclave for the purpose of preparing testimony and inaking things straight for this hearing, but an ondinary conference such as is liable to be held at any time.

In regard to this division of duties and instruction of doctors and other employees I want to say that all persous employed on the island have either been told their duties by me or turned over to some one else whose duty it was to instruct them. If I tell a doctor he has charge of a ward, and he don't know enough to know what that means, we don't want him.

Dr. Parker tells of reporting Smith to the Commissioners for drunkenness, but not to me; that's just it, that fact was not of enougli importance in his estimation, but yet he reported Smith to me, and was very much incensed because Smith would not let him have a quart of milk to drink on his order.

In Dr. Parker's testimony this appears : Well, he said aristol would do to use on a Back Bay patient, if I had some nice patient I wanted to use it on in the place of iodoform, but down there iodoform would do,” trying to give you the impression that I thought anyibing was good enough for the paupers. What I did say was this : tliat if he was in private practice on the Back Bay wliere tle smell would be a give-away and price no object, he could use aristol ; but with us, where the smell was no objection, it was better to use iodoform where we could, and I think you will agree with me when, as you know, from Dr. Putnam, the healing properties of the two drugs are the same, and iodoform $24.55 less per pound than aristol.

Di. Parker wants to show that I proposed to prescribe for the patients in bulk. There are some prescriptions which you will find repeated in our daily order hook time and time again. It takes the nurse a long time to compound these separately for half a dozen patients, and there is more likelihood of a mistake than there would be if these “ stock prescriptions” were put up in bulk, which I wanted done. I will illustrate : Suppose sis or eight patients are taking three times a day a dose composed of cod-liver oil, whiskey, tincture gentian, and syrup.

The nurse has to handle practically thirty-two bottles. The way I proposed he would handle but one, eight times. I never heard of a pneumonia mixture or ever mentioned one to Dr Parker. I would not have mentioned this if you were medical men, perhaps Parker meant it for a joke, same as the feeding-cup.

It was the endeavor of counsel to show that a great many things had been done under the heat of this juvestigation, and Dr. Parker was willing to help him out. Dr. Parker says that an order was issued in February for the nurses to report anything wrong in diets to me. The order was issued in December, and at that time I did not know anything about investigation.

Mention is made of recent purchases of mugs and bowls, two cozen each. That was the trutli cei tainly, but lie forgot to mention that in the three months previous to Jan. 1, 1894, we purchased 40 dozen bowls and 10 dozen muys. In the three months succeeiling we purchases but 24 dozen bowls and 10 dozen mugs. There is hardly a month goes by that we do not purchase these articles.

Dr. Parker says he does not think we ever pumped water to the liospital until recently — after tliis investigation began. Froin the time this investigation begap until October, '94, I don't think we pumped to the bospital over an hour, while up to last November we pumper, every day practically, from the day the hospital was opened.

Much has been said in regard to our water supply without much light being thown on the subject. I will try to see if I can throw any light on this dark spot. In tlie early part of 1893 the waterpipes from the main land to Long Island froze and hurst. From that time until April 8, when the temporary pipe was laid, all the water used on the Island was either raiu-water, or water brought over from Deer Island in a tug-boat. The boat brought alwut 20.000 gallons (laily and forced it into one of our large cisterns, from which it was pumpell into the tanks in the atlic of the institution building. Before we opened the hospital we piped it so that water could be pumped into the tanks that supply the hot water heaters, and in the east wing tapped it into the colil-watir supply-pipe, and thus got our hot and cold water on that side. In the west wing the pressure from the main was great enough to give us all the water we wanted. From April 8 to September 25, 1893, our water-supply was all right. On that day the men in laying the permanent pipe bruke the temporary pipe, and we had to depend on the tug-boat until November 3. Since that day we have not bad

had any extended trouble and have bad pressure enough to carry the water to any part of our buildings. From February 27 to March 2, 1894, we were without our regular supply as, owing to the water being shut off, the pipes froze again. It was at this time that Mrs. Lincoln came down, viewed our water-closets, and had Mr. Brown), the inspector from the Board of Healtlı, sent down. For thirty-six hours we had to carry in pails; all the water used in the hospital while we were digging up and tbawing out the pipe from the boilerroom to the hospital through which we pump the water. Yet, with all that, iť Mrs. Lincoln had only been content to wait half a minute after the men got through using them she would not have found our water-closets quite so iodescribably filthy as she claims they were, though the report of the inspector does not bear her out in that statement.

An attempt was made to show that there had been recent purchases of clothing, slippers, stockings, etc. We have never plirchased clothing, but we did buy 1,926 yards of calico for dresses, January 18. In May, 1,893, we purchased 3,052 yards, and this, May we bought 2,697 yards. We are never without it. As for recent purchases of slippers, in the three months succeeding Jan. 1, 1894, we bought 110 pairs and in three months preceding 275 pairs. As for towels, last spring we purchased the materials for 775 towels. This spring when we had more people the material for 1,100. From these figures you can judge, and I can honestly say, that we have gone on at Long Island in the even tenor of our way, notwithstanding this investigation.

In his testimony on the discharge of syphilitic patients, Dr. Parler says ļ Lad discharged them on two or three occasions, and says he does not know anything of a colored girl that he heard I had discharged. Later in his testimony he says he does not really know of a case of sypbilis that I discharged. Mrs. Evans says Dr. Parker told her he had seen and knew the condition of the colored girl, and that she had secondary syphilis. This colored girl, Fannie Ross, was not in the contagious stage of syphilis. No person has ever left the island to my kuowledge wbose presence would be a menace to the community.

A great deal has been said bere about our hospital records, that they are imperfect, that they were not kept for a time, and are full of mistakes. I wish that you would appoint a coinmittee to come down and examine our books, I do not wish to produce them bere, for it would be not only illegal but an injustice to our patients. I know I can show any man that our buoks are all right and as well kept as they ever were, and I hope somewhat better; we are always trying to improve, and I do not say that there is not room for it even now. I will try and explain the best I can our system, and then slow how and why persons unacquainted with the books might think they were wrong, and how persons interested in deceiving could find seeming proof if they did not go far enough.

When a patient enters the hospital the nurse takes wliat is called "the pedigree,” – it is taken now hy one of the doctors which

« PreviousContinue »