Page images

honourable and useful influence among the nations of the earth.

"If, then, we owe so much to those numerous classes of our people, dutiful, surely, and happy are they, who show that they feel themselves bound, by the most sacred obligations, to promote, as far they can, the temporal comfort, the religious improvement, and the eternal happiness of those, who have done, and who are doing so much for the prosperity of their country."

MELANCHOLY CASE OF ANTHONY WARD. ANTHONY WARD, a detail of whose sufferings is here given by one well acquainted with his past history, was mate of the Columbus, of Hull, Captain Orton. He has been visited by Captain Prynn, our Thames Missionary, in the London Hospital. His recovery to health is confidently expected; but he will need the kind sympathy of friends when cured of his wounds. Any contributions in aid of his necessities will be thankfully received at the Society's office, 2, Jeffreys-square, St. Mary Axe, London.


On the 22d November last (1835), the barque Columbus left Quebec, loaded with timber and deals, bound to Hull. Through heavy and severe weather she became water-logged on the 28th, but the crew were picked up by the Robert, of Lancaster, Captain Gardner. Only four days after, they experienced more and severe hardships; the "Robert" was driven into St. George's Bay in Newfoundland, and became a total wreck. The sailors, almost frozen to death, clung to the shrouds of the mainmast to save themselves from being washed overboard, while no hope of rescue appeared; in about two hours her bottom and quarters parted from her, and the sea was covered with her shattered bottom and the deals of her cargo. At length she lay with her broadside against the rocks, by which all the crew escaped, except the captain of the "Robert" and a boy belonging to the “ Columbus," both of whom sunk to rise no more. The rest, with great difficulty reached the rocky beach; but being cast upon an unknown shore, and having no leader, they knew not which way to go. This was about midnight the 2d of December, when all travelled together along the beach, the main-land being very mountainous; and in a little time,

with great perseverance, they all ascended the high cliff, except a boy who died on the shore. They travelled towards the head of St. George's Bay, and at day-light five men were barefooted, having lost their shoes in the woods. Mr. Ward, chief mate of the Columbus, lost his shoes in swimming on shore; and his feet were much cut by the rocks, as he had to travel with his fellow-sufferers in search of inhabitants through frost and snow, suffering the keenest pangs of hunger and scanty clothing, in the penetrating frost. Their way was much obstructed with the great piles of fallen trees, and the snow very deep. In a short time a young man of the "Robert" gave up, and his fellow-sufferers were obliged to leave him, or they would perish too. His cries were piercing to the heart. They travelled onward, but about noon, December 3d, there being no appearance of inhabitants, and the country being covered with thick woods as far as they could see, they agreed to return to the wreck, thinking there might be some provisions washed on shore. With great difficulty they reached the wreck about one o'clock in the morning of the 4th of December, when some of those best able searched the beach a quarter of a mile each way, but not a morsel of food was to be seen. Being unable to procure a light for a fire, they remained on the snow till daylight, when they again, but in vain, searched the beach in hopes of finding some provisions. In this forlorn condition they all knelt down and offered prayer to Almighty God, that he would be pleased to sanctify their souls, or enable them to find some place of abode, as their fainting bodies must soon fall without speedy relief. They all, except Mr. Ward, again started in search of inhabitants. Emaciated with hardships and unable to walk, and also in a state of insanity, they made him a hut upon the snow with the branches of fir trees, and laid him in it, taking leave of him one by one. They gave him a few wild berries, never more expecting to see him in the flesh: they were obliged to leave him to find inhabitants, or die. Judge what Mr. Ward's feelings must have been as his reason returned in this trying time, at the thoughts of never more beholding the dear partner of his life, and all who were near and dear to him by the ties of nature. They had not gone far before a young man named John Harvey returned. "I find," says he, "[ shall be left behind, so I will return to Mr. Ward, and die by his side." Towards evening on the 5th the weary travellers found inhabitants; Captain Orton immediately

sent some relief to Mr. Ward and John Harvey, who were still alive, but they were obliged to remain ten days in this hut before they could be removed, on account of the heavy gales of wind which blew dead on the land; but at length they were conveyed by a boat to the house of John Heulin, an inhabitant of St. George's Bay. They were in a dreadful state, but were treated with every kindness; but in a few days John Harvey and three more died with the frost. Mr. Ward and several more had all their toes cut off, and one man named Whittaker lost half his feet. Captain Orton lost part of three toes. Mr. Ward, on finding his feet rotting fast, was obliged to have both cut off by the ankle joint, and was hourly expected to die. In a short time the calves of his legs burst, and his ankle bones were taken out; indeed his sufferings were greater than words can express; but the Almighty Ruler of all things was pleased to save his life, although no medical or surgical aid could be procured. The number of both ships' companies was twenty-five; two were drowned, two died in the woods, and three with the frost; six or seven lost all their toes, and seven more the greater part of them, and four were only slightly injured. These enfeebled beings remained in St. George's Bay five months and a half, distributed three in some houses and two in others, and were treated with humanity by the inhabitants. On the 23d of May last they sailed from Newfoundland to Halifax, and thence to England, after being ten months from their homes.

Mr. Ward's case is truly melancholy, he being a young man, only 26 years of age, with no probability of being able again to follow his profession. We trust that the Almighty God out of his unsearchable wisdom, who has been watching over him, and supporting him in all his afflictions, will send some permanent support.



THE Volunteer, Captain Clark, who arrived at this port (Hull) on Wednesday last, had on board the master (Cleugh) and five seamen of the Hannah, of South Shields, fallen in with in the course of their voyage in the western ocean, water-logged. They were the survivors of a crew of twelve men, five of whom had died and one drowned, and were in a most distressed and deplorable condition. To such extremities had they been reduced, that part of a

human body was found on board, with which these unfortunate creatures had been compelled from hunger to eke out their miserable lives. Captain Clark applied to the mayor on behalf of these distressed men. He said their object was to obtain the means of getting to London, to which port the Hannah was bound, and that it had been usual for the magistrates to give five shillings each to men brought here under such circumstances. They had already received 5s. each from the Trinity House, and 2s. 6d. from the Charity Hall.

The mayor said, that he regretted very much that he had not the means of assisting them. Formerly the justices could order a sum of money to be paid to shipwrecked sailors out of the borough fund, but that the Municipal Reform Bill had taken that power out of their hands.— Hull Packet.


Greenock, 27th August. THE Antilles arrived here to day from Venice and Trieste. Sailed from Trieste on the 25th of June, and got down the Adriatic in four days. She had afterwards much calm weather in the Mediterranean, and passed Gibraltar four weeks ago.

On the 17th of July, in lat. 46° 11' N. they picked up a large oil cask, branded " William Torr," the name of the missing ship, and supposed to have belonged to her.

The William Torr," whaler, is the ship (still unaccounted for) which Captain Ross was dispatched in the ship Cove to search for in the high frozen latitudes, but returned without learning any tidings of her.

Correspondence and Proceedings of the British and Foreign Sailors' Society.


REV. JOHN SAUNDERS, the Society's devoted Agent and Foreign Director at Sydney, continues his benevolent labours among seamen at that port. But intemperance, and its inseparable evils, lamentably prevent and counteract his various attempts to promote among them the saving blessings of the gospel of Christ.

In a letter recently received by the secretary, of which the following are extracts, he says, "I was truly gratified in receiving the communication from your Society, and a letter from you. I should have replied at an earlier date, but not only had the Platina a long voyage, but the little box was stowed away down in the hold. The Society's re-collection was very acceptable. We shall be enabled to supply ships occasionally, but at present we have no organized plan. Until my regular duties devolved upon me, I engaged with Rev. Mr. Crook in boarding ships of a Sunday morning, but to very little purpose. This is the place were Satan's seat is; and no sooner do ships arrive, than the sailors seek to lay the reins on the neck of their lusts, and allow them to carry them forward headlong to destruction. We had no working man; and after losing a Saturday in procuring a vessel, the Sunday showed we had had our labour for our pains.

"Brother Crook and myself had the honour of slaving on Saturday, of paying our own boat hire, and of meeting one or two sneering watchmen on board at service. It was evident more good could be done on shore; and so for the present the sailor's cause sleeps-and it had better sleep until a plan better organized can be proposed. In the mean time, as opportunity offers, I send your PILOT and the other publications on board, and shall be obliged by an annual parcel, as it enables one or two to do a little. If it should please God to bring some pious nautical man to our coasts, or to turn the hearts of our benevolent but unregenerate masters here, we may do something. But for the present the Bethel is in abeyance.

"About ten years ago, money was raised to build a Bethel chapel, to the amount of 2007. and upwards; but the treasurer died, and his executrix married a convict, and gives us no hope of paying back the amount.

"The governor has granted a piece of ground for a chapel, but the hands of the few religious persons in this locality are too still to take up a chapel under present disheartening circumstances. On these matters I shall be glad to receive your kind advice. Apropos of the PILOT-We have a little preaching station among the pilots; and three of them are members of the Temperance Society. I am glad there is a maritime Temperance Society. OH SEND US TEMPERANCE SHIPS! SEND US TEMPERANCE SHIPS! "Finally, dear brother, may you rejoice in all your làbours and be blessed."

« PreviousContinue »