« PreviousContinue »
81. Providing for the creation of the State Levee and Drainage Board, and
providing for surveys within this State for the construction of pools,
lakes, etc., to prevent overflows and to procure drainage, and for the
improvement of rivers, creeks and streams by levees or otherwise to
prevent overflows, and making an appropriation...
82. Authorizing the Governor to purchase for the State the papers of Presi-
dent Mirabeau Lamar, and making an appropriation..
83. Making it a criminal offense to send to a person an anonymous letter or
writing reflecting upon the good character or reputation or threaten-
84. Changing and fixing the time of holding court in the Fortieth Judicial
85. Authorizing commissioners courts to establish improvement districts... 140
86. Amending Chapter 5, General Laws of First Called Session of Twenty-
seventh Legislature, reapportioning Congressional Districts.
87. Authorizing the purchase of the Reagan papers....
88. Providing that cities and towns may own land outside the city limits
89. Amending an act of the Thirtieth Legislature, defining and punishing
90. Amending Act of 1897, providing for boards of plumbers in cities.
91. Amending an act of the Thirtieth Legislature relating to State Mine
92. Amending Article 4978, Chapter 5, Revised Civil Statutes, preventing
certain animals from running at large.
93. Amending an act of the Twenty-ninth Legislature relating to bonds of
depositories of cities and towns.
94. Amending an act of the Thirtieth Legislature known as the Pure Food
95. Imposing an occupation tax on all persons selling cannon crackers or
96. Compelling railroad and railway corporations to maintain water closets
97. Enabling lunaties, idiots and persons non compos mentis to sue by next
98. Providing for the location and establishment of a cotton factory by
the Board of Managers of the State penitentiary.
99. Authorizing the payment of jury commissioners.
100. Defining what shall be a full crew on trains and engines of railroad com-
panies and providing penalties for violation of the same.
101. Limiting hours of service of certain employes of railroad companies... 180
102. Requiring fire insurance companies not organized under the laws of
Texas to deposit securities with Commissioner of Insurance and
103. Providing for the speedy enforcement of mechanics' liens.
104. Amending Act of 1907 providing for issuance of bonds for the im-
105. Providing for committee to investigate the penitentiaries.
106. Permitting cities and towns of less than ten thousand inhabitants to
adopt the commission form of government..
107. Validating patent to a section of school land in El Paso county and
eeding same to the Federal government.
108. Authorizing the incorporation of life, accident and health insurance
109. Providing for perpetuation of evidence to establish the identity of Con-
110. Providing for the investment of the permanent school fund.
lll. Relating to bonds of treasurers of printers' mutual fire and storm in-
surance companies and prescribing fees for filing annual statements. 219
112. Adding department of instruction to determine spinable value of cotton
to the Agricultural and Mechanical College..
113. Providing for the teaching of agriculture and domestic economy in State
114. Fixing the time in which corporations may have their right to do busi-
115. Defining the powers of corporations..
116. Extending time for construction of roads by railroad companies
117. Defining and regulating the practice of nursing..
118. Making effective the constitutional amendment granting aid to Con-
119. Establishing the West Texas State Normal College.
120. Exempting Bell county from the county auditor law'.
121. Prescribing compensation of district attorneys...
122. Prescribing conditions for the transacting of business in this State by
Changing form of printed bills in the House of Representatives..
Authorizing Superintendent of Public Buildings and Grounds to rearrange
room occupied by secretary and stenographers of Railroad Commission.. 249
Requesting the Governor to return House bill No. 152 to the House for
Granting leave of absence to the judge of the Fortieth Judicial District of
Fixing time of sine die adjournment.
Submitting amendment to the Constitution in regard to formation and tax-
ing power of school districts...
Requesting the Governor to investigate an unsettled claim against the United
States by the State of Texas for the protection of her frontier.
Submitting amendment to the Constitution validating school districts and
their bonded indebtedness, and authorizing the levy and collection of taxes
to pay such indebtedness..
Requesting Superintendent of Public Buildings and Grounds to locate a site
for the erection of a monument to the valor of Hood's Brigade..
Submitting an amendment to the Constitution authorizing cities and towns
with a population in excess of 5000 to be incorporated by special Act.... 255
Submitting an amendment to the Constitution authorizing the establish-
ment of a home for wives and widows of Confederate soldiers and sailors.. 256
FIRST CALLED SESSION.
1. Per diem of members of First Called Session of the Thirty-first Legis-
2. Contingent expenses of the First Called Session of the Thirty-first Leg.
3. Imposing an occupation tax on life insurance companies not organized
under the laws of Texas.
4. Relating to fees charged by the Secretary of State.
5. Coaferring on the county court of Concho county civil and criminal
6. Relating to appearances by brief of attorney in Courts of Civil Appeals. 270
7. Proyiding for improvement of public roads..
8. Providing for a system of Electric power, lights and water works for
all State institutions at Austin..
9. Providing for the maintenance of an agricultural experiment station for
the experimental culture of tobacco to be located in the Seven-
teenth Representative District..
10. Relating to the liability of railroad companies to their employes.. 279
ll. Amendment to the anti trust law...
12. Relating to appeals in probate cases.
13. Fixing terms of criminal district court of Harris and Galveston counties. 283
14. Relating to appeal bond in civil cases.
15. Making it a felony to sell intoxicating liquors in local option territory.. 284
16. Providing for incorporation, organization and regulation of life insur-
17. Regulating the sale of intoxicating liquors.
18. Prescribing conditions for transacting business by fire insurance com-
19. Preventing the keeping of fruit trees when affected by certain pests or
20. Limiting character of risks of insurance companies.
21. Making an appropriation for the enforcement of laws.
22. Fixing time for filing answer where defendant is cited by publication. 324
23. Relating to the duties of Game, Fish and Oyster Commissioner
24. Providing for additional agricultural experimental stations.
25. Amending Chapter 12, Title 51, of the Revised Statutes, relating to
26. Providing a home for lepers...
27. Amending the law relating to citations in the sale of land by executors
28. Authorizing the State Health Officer to isolate indigent consumptives. . 337
29. Prescribing the form of ballot in local option elections..
30. Creating Texas State Board of Health and providing for its organization. 340
31. Diminishing the civil and criminal jurisdiction of the county courts of
Crockett and Edwards counties..
32. Empowering district judges to act in vacation.
33. Authorizing Commissioner of Agriculture to inquire into system of irri-
34. Relating to the granting of injunctions.
35. Prescribing penalties for selling or giving away intoxicating liquors in
36. Defining and regulating fraternal beneficiary associations.
37. Requiring tax assessors to make statements to the Comptroller.
38. Amending the law relating to the rendition, listing and assessment of
39. Providing for the appointment and compensation of official shorthand
Providing for the printing of the Texas Legislative Manual...
Authorizing the board of directors of the Agricultural and Mechanical ('ollege
Requesting President Taft and Secretary of State Knox to give the cotton-
producing States equal representation in the appointment of diplomatic
and consular positions in foreign countries.
1. Per diem of members of the Second Called Session of the Thirty-first Leg.
2. To detray contingent expenses of the Second Called Session of the Thirty-
3. Reorganizing the Thirty-fifth Judicial District.
4. Reorganizing the Twenty-ninth Judicial District..
5. Making appropriations to cover deficiencies for the years 1905, 1906,
6. Reorganizing the Fifteenth and Fifty-ninth Judicial Distriets.
7. Relating to teachers' certificates...
8. Authorizing the incorporation of gas, gasoline, denatured alcohol or
naphtha interurban railways...
9. Relating to the sale of non-intoxicating malt liquors.
10. Conferring authority on the Railroad Commission to require railway
companies to construct union passenger depots.
14. Authorizing cities and towns to construct permanent street improve-
15. Providing for the guaranty of deposits of State banks
16. Regulating the manner of making payments for public lands
Providing method of apportioning, distributing and accounting of the
18. Transferring Bee county from the Twenty-fourth to the Thirty-sixth Ju-
dicial District and changing time of holding court in said districts.. 434
19. Appropriating one hundred thousand dollars for iron industry at Rusk
20. Providing for refunding a portion of the public debt
21. Relating to the qualification, bond and duties of the State Treasurer
22. Relating to certificates of fraternal beneficiary associations....
23. Relating to issuance of bonds and levy of taxes in cities and towns.
24. Providing for completion by the Penitentiary Board of the railroad
Relating to deposits of securities by life insurance companies incorpo-
28. Making appropriations for the support of the State government for two
years beginning September 1, 1909, and ending August 31, 1911 ... 457
Proclamation by the Governor vetoing certain items in the appropriation
Appendix-Messages of the Governor submitting subjects for legislation at