« PreviousContinue »
hath fent me to HEAL the
(b) Pfalm xxxiv. 18. The Lord is NIGH unto them that are of a
BROKEN HEART, and faveth fuch
as be of a CONTRITE Spirit.
P. li. 17. The Sacrifices of God are a BROKEN SPIRIT: a BROKEN
and CONTRITE HEART, O God, thou wilt not DESPISE.
Pf. cxlvii. 3. He HEALETH the broken in Heart, and bindeth up their WOUNDS.
(c) Ephef. iv. 8. Wherefore he faith, when he ASCENDED up on high,he led CAPTIVITY CAPTIVE,
and gave GIFTS unto Men.
9. (Now that he afcended, what is it but that he alfo defcended first into the lower Parts of the Earth?
10. He that DESCENDED, is the fane alfo that ASCENDED up far above all HEAVENS, that he might fill all Things)
Coloff. i. 12. Giving THANKS unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be PARTAKERS of the INHERITANCE of the Saints in
13. Who hath DELIVERED US
from the POWER of Darkness, and hath tranflated us into the KING
DOM of his dear Son : 14. In whom we have REDEMPTION through his BLOOD, even the FORGIVENESS of Sins.
Heb. ii. 14. Forasmuch then as the Children are Partakers of Flesh and Blood, he alfo himself likewife took part of the fame: that through DEATH he might DESTROY him that had the POWER of Death, that is, the DEVIL;
15. And deliver them, who through FEAR of DEATH were all their Life-time fubje&t to BONDAGE.
John iii. 8. He that committeth Sin is of the DEVIL: for the DEVIL finneth from the Beginning. For this Purpose the Son of God was manifetted, that he might DESTROY the Works of the DEVIL.
(d) Pfalm xcvii. 11. LIGHT is fown for the RIGHTEOUS, and Gladnefs for the UPRIGHT in Heart.
Ff. cxix. 130. The Entrance of thy WORDS giveth LIGHT: it giveth Understanding to the Simple.
John viii. 12. Jefus faid, I am the LIGHT of the World: he that followeth me, fhall not walk in DARKNESS, but fhall have the LIGHT of LIFE.
Ephef. v. 8. For ye were fometimes DARKNESs, but now are ye LIGHT in the Lord: walk as Children of the LIGHT.
1 The v. 5. Ye are all the Children of LIGHT, and the Children
of the Day; we are not of the Night, nor of DARKNESS.
2 Tim. 1. 10. But is now made manifeft by the Appearing of our Saviour fus Chrift, who hath abolished DEATH, and hath brought LIFE and IMMORTALITY to light through the Gospel,
unto me this Proverb, Phyfician, heal thy felf: Whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum, do alfo here in thy Country. And he faid, Verily I fay unto you, * No Prophet is accepted in his own Country. But I tell you of a Truth, many Widows were in Ifrael in the Days of Elias, when the Heaven was fhut up three Years and fix Months, when great Famine was throughout all the Land: but unto none of them was Elias fent, fave unto Serepta, a City of Sidon, unto a Woman that was a WIDOW. And many Lepers were in Ifrael in the Time of Elizeus the Prophet, and none of them was cleanfed fave Naaman the Syrian. And all they in the Synagogue when they heard thefe Things were filled with Wrath, and rofe up, and thrust him out of the City, and led him unto the Brow of the Hill, (whereon their City was built) that they might caft him down headlong. But he paffing through the midst of them, went his way.
[M.JAN ND Jefus leaving Nazareth, [Mr.] went and [M] came and dwelt in Capernaum, which is upon the Sea Coaft, in the Borders of Zabulon and Nephthalim: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Efaias the Prophet, faying, The Land of Zabulon, and the Land of Nephthalim, by the Way of the Sea beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles: The People which fat in Darkness, faw great Light: and to them which fat in the Region and Shadow of Death, Light is fprung up. From that Time, [Mr.] Jefus came into Galilee, and [M] began to preach [Mr.] the GOSPEL of the KINGDOM of GOD, [M] and to fay, [Mr.] The Time is FULFILLED, and the KINGDOM of GOD is at hand;
REPENT (4) ye and BELIEVE the GOSPEL: [M.] for the KINGDOM of HEAVEN is at hand.
Of REPENTANCE and FAITH, by which alone Mankind are made Partakers of the Salvation purchased by Christ.
L Of REPENTANCE, and its Effects.
(a) Pfalm exix. 59. I thought on my Ways: and TURNED my Feet unto thy Testimonies.
Ifa. i. 16. Wash ye, make you clean, put away the EVIL of your DOINGS from before mine Eyes, ceafe to do EVIL,
17. Learn to do WELL, feek Judgment, relieve the Oppreffed, judge the Fatherlefs, plead for the Widow.
Chap. Iv. 7. Let the Wicked forfake his WAY, and the Unrighteous Man his Thoughts, and let him RETURN unto the LORD, and he will have MERCY upon him, and unto our GoD, for he will abundantly PARDON.
Jer. iii. 12. Go, and proclaim these Words towards the North, and fay, RETURN thou Backfliding Ifrael, faith the LORD, and I will not caufe mine ANGER to fall upon you: for I am MERCI FUL, faith the LORD, and I will not keep Anger for ever.
13. Only ACKNOWLEDGE thine INIQUITY that thou haft transgreffed against the LORD thy God, and haft fcattered thy Ways to the Strangers, under every green Tree, and ye have not obeyed my Voice, faith the LORD.
22. Return ye backfliding Children, and I will heal your Backflidings: behold, we come unto thee, for thou art the LORD our GOD.
Chap. iv. 4. Circumcife yourselves to the LORD, and take away the Fore-skins of your Heart, ye Men of Judah, and Inhabitants of Jerufalem: left my Fury come forth like Fire, and burn that none quench it, because of the EVIL of your Doings.
14. O Jerufalem, wafh thine Heart from WICKEDNESS, that thou mayft be faved: How long fhall thy VAIN THOUGHTS lodge within thee?
Chap. vii. 3. Thus faith the LORD of HOSTS, the GoD of Ifrael, Amend your WAYS and your DOINGS, and I will cause you to dwell in this Place.
Chap. xxxi. 18. I have furely heard Ephraim bemoaning himfelf thus, Thou haft chaftifed me, and I was chaftifed, as a Bullock unaccustomed to the Yoke: TURN thou me, and I fhall BE TURNED; for thou art the LORD my GoD.
19. Surely after that I was TURNED, I REPENTED; and after that I was INSTRUCTED, I SMOTE upon my Thigh: I was afhamed
shamed, yea, even confounded, becaufe I did bear the Reproach of my Youth.
Lamen. iii. 40. Let us fearch and try our Ways, and TURN again to the LORD.
Ezek. xiv. 6. Therefore fay unto the Houfe of Ifrael, Thus faith the LORD GOD, REPENT, and TURN yourselves from your Idols, and turn away your Faces from all your Abominations.
Chap. xviii. 30. Therefore I will judge you, O Houfe of Ifrael, every one according to his ways, faith the LORD GOD: repent and turn yourselves from all your Tranfgreffions; fo Iniquity fhall not be your RUIN. 31. Caft away TRANSGRESSIONS, whereby ye have tranfgreffed, and make you a new Heart, and a new Spirit; for why will ye DIE, O House of Ifrael?
32. For I have no Pleasure in the DEATH of him that dieth, faith the LORD GOD: wherefore TURN yourselves, and LIVE ye. Hofea xiv. 1. O Ifrael, RETURN unto the LORD thy God; for thou haft fallen by thine Iniquity.
2. Take with you Words, and turn to the LORD; fay unto him, Take away all INIQUITY, and receive us graciously so will we render the Calves of our Lips.
Joel ii. 12. Therefore also now faith the LORD, TURN ye even to me with all your HEART, and with FASTING, and with WEEPING, and with MOURNING.
13. And rent your HEARTS, and not your Garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is Gracious and Merciful, flow to Anger, and of great Kindness, and repenteth him of the Evil.
Zach. xii. 10. And I will pour upon the Houfe of David, and upon the Inhabitants of Jerufalem, the Spirit of GRACE, and of SUPPLICATIONS, and they fhall look upon him whom they have PIERCED, and they fhall Mourn for him as one mourneth for his only Son, and fhall be in Bitterness for him, as one that is in Bitterness for his Firft-born.
Matt. ix. 13. But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have Mercy, and not Sacrifice: for I am not come to call the Righteous, but SINNERS to REPENTANCE.
Luke xiii. 2. And Jefus answering, faid unto them, Suppose ye that these Galileans were Sinners above all the Galileans, because they fuffered fuch Things?
3. I tell you, nay: but except ye REPENT, ye fhall all likewise
Chap. xv. 7. I fay unto you, that likewife Joy fhall be in Heaven over one SINNER that REPENTETH, more than over ninety and nine just Persons, which need no REPENTANCE.
17. And when he came to himself, he faid, How many hired Servants of my Father's have Bread enough and to spare, and I perifh with Hunger!
18. I will arife, and go to my Father, and will fay unto him, Father, I have finned against Heaven and before thee,
19. And am no more worthy to be called thy Son: make me as one of thy HIRED SERVANTS.
20. And he arofe, and came to his Father. But when he was yet a great way off, his Father faw him, and had Compaffion, and ran, and fell on his Neck, and kiffed him.
21. And his Son faid unto him, Father, I have finned against Heaven, and in thy fight, and am no more worthy to be called thy San.
Acts ii. 37. Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their Heart, and faid unto Peter, and to the rest of the Apoftles, Men and Brethren, what fhall we do?
ry one of Sins, and
38. Then Peter faid unto them, REPENT, and be baptized evein the Name of Jefus Chrift, for the Remiflion of fhall receive the Gift of the HOLY GHOST. Chap. iii. 19. REPENT ye therefore and be coNVERTED, that your Sins may be BLOTTED out, when the Times of refreshing fhall come from the Prefence of the Lord.
Chap. v. 31. Him hath GOD exalted with his right Hand to be a PRINCE and a SAVIOUR, for to give REPENTANCE to Ifrael, and FORGIVENESS of Sins.
Chap. xi. 18. When they heard thefe Things, they held their Peace, and glorified GoD, faying, Then hath GoD alfo to the Gentiles granted REPENTANCE unto LIFE.
Chap. xx. 21. Teftifying both to the Jews, and alfo to the Greeks, REPENTANCE towards GOD, and FAITH towards our LORD Jefus Chrift.
Chap. xxvi. 20. But fhewed firft unto them of Damascus, and at Jerufalem, and throughout all the Coaft of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they fhould repent, and turn to GoD, and do Works meet for REPENTANCE.
Rom. ii. 4. Or defpifeft thou the Riches of his GOODNESS, and FORBEARANCE, and LONG-SUFFERING, not knowing that the GOODNESS of GoD leadeth thee to REPENTANCE?
2 Cor. vii. 10. For godly SORROW worketh REPENTANCE to Salvation not to be repented of: but the Sorrow of the World worketh Death.
Heb. iv. 7. Again, he limiteth a certain Day, faying in David, To Day, after fo long a time; as it is faid, To Day if ye will hear his Voice, harden not your Hearts.
Chap. iii. 15. While it is faid, To Day if ye will hear his Voice, harden not your Hearts, as in the Provocation.
2 Pet. iii. 9. The LORD is not flack concerning his Promise (as fome Men count Slackness) but is long-fuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should PERISH, but that all fhould come to RE